Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from San Diego  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
Greetings from San Diego
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:10 pm »
Hi all,

Iv'e been lurking for a while and thought I would intrduce myself.

I'm a new beek with a one year old hive.  I had no idea how much I didn't know (still don't) about bees!  I got started because it seemed like something neat to do with my son who is 13.  I initially had our hive on our rooftop but that didn't work out :oops:.  I now have found a great place to keep bees but have to figure out the ins and outs of beekeeping in this area.

I've been enjoying reading the forums and look forward learning a lot!

Any other So Cal Beeks out there?

Old Blue

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Greetings from San Diego
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »
one of the best places on earth!  sure miss that weather.

what part of SD are you in?  there are so many micro-climates between the coast, valley, and east county.  if we don't have a member in SD, we do have lots in CA and someone will be able to match your climate and particulars, i'm sure.

welcome to beemaster.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:31:08 pm »
Hello and Welcome Old Blue
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:40:13 pm »
I'm up north and much different beekeeping up here than where you are.  Good luck and stay in touch. You live in a very beautiful place. I just love San Diego.

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:09 pm »
Welcome Old Blue and good luck.
Bobby

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 03:32:47 am »
Thanks for the replies and kind words :).

Kathy, I live in Clairmont.  I have moved our bees to someones yard about 1 1/2 miles west of where we live.  Our area has fairly temperate weather, not as warm as inland and not as cool as along the coast.

After a humbling flail with our first hive, I'm looking forward to putting some knowledge to use to manage them a lot better.

The community here has a nice feel to it.  It's comfortable and seems fillled with friendly folks!

Old Blue

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:36:05 am »
Old blue, welcome to our forum, I love your handle, btw.  Old Blue for some reason just brings a nice smile to my face, maybe it reminds me of someone's old pet dog, I don't know, but it is nice.  So nice that you found our forum.  So nice that you are taking care of bees, along with your young Son.  When the beekeeper instills the love of the bees within their children's heart, I think that is the most beautiful thing.  I do no know where San Diego is exactly, but from the comments of other forum friends, I think it must be a very beautiful place, that is beautiful in itself.  Stick around, we love new members.  This will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, you will no doubt, make also some new friends.  This is a place that has a powerful amount of information, at your fingertips, to study, learn, ask questions.  Always ask any question that your heart desires, all questions are good and non are ever seen as irrelevant -- we were all beginning at beekeeping at one point in our lives too.  Have that wonderful and most awesome day, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:27 am »
Old Blue,

Welcome.  I used to have a bluetick hound (1/2 bloodhound 1/2 coonhound) called old blue.  Good coon dog but a better bear dog. 

Had and old dog his name was Blue
He was sure a good bear dog too.
Get on Blue, Get on Blue.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline aartiana

• New Bee
    • AarTiana's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:14:36 pm »
I lived in San Diego for many years, and miss it sometimes!  Although I do not know of beekeepers there, I stumbled upon the Backwards Beekeepers when I was on youtube.  They are up in LA (San Fernando Valley I think) but they may be able to help you find local folks!  Good luck!