Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Northern Nevada  (Read 2015 times)

Offline NevadaBlue

• New Bee
Hello from Northern Nevada
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:27:59 pm »
Very northern, almost to the Oregon/Idaho border.
My wife and I are retired, living in the high desert at 5700 feet on a small bit of fertile land in the mouth of a canyon. We are full time caregivers for our disabled Veteran son. We enjoy gardening and our chickens. We have some fruit trees and a lot of wild fruit and flowers around us. We decided to get bees this year but missed the packages. So, next spring we will start for sure. I've always wanted bees, but this is really my first chance to have them.
We will have lots of questions, I'm sure. Thanks for having us.  :)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Hello from Northern Nevada
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:46:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum and tell your Son thank you for his service to our country. He has given so much!!
 Members here will be more than glad to help you on this journey into beekeeping!!
It won't be long now until package suppliers start taking orders. Find out when your supplier takes orders and get on the list early to be sure of availability.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:54:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  There's a lot of information here.  One of my favorite things about this site is the experienced folks are so patient with us newer beekeepers.  It makes coming back again and again a lot of fun!

Ditto what buzzbee said about package orders.  The packages come in April here, but some of the suppliers fill their lists for orders in February!

I'm excited for you, there's nothing like your first hive!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:11:42 am »
NevadaBlue, welcome to our forum, wonderful you are here.  I take my hat off to you, both you and your Wife, that you are taking on the loving caregiving job of looking after your Son, that is a thing of beauty, and a wonderful thing to hear, you probably have some very full hands with your Son and the farm.  Being the keeper of bees will bring much more love and happiness to your life.  You will find when you spend time with your bees, feel how deeply they will hold you beneath their beautiful spell, that you will be able to deal even better well with other things in your life that may cause sadness, bees can bring the serotonin levels to some very high points -- and this makes us happy.  Learn and study really hard this winter how to keep the bees.  I hear that you already must have been doing this, but lean on us at Beemaster, we can help you along the journey to get your bees, learn to keep them well, and one day be a most great keeper of the bees.  Ask your questions, all questions are important, we were all once beginning at this too, stick around, we love new members.  The bounty that will come from your gardens from the pollination that these little creatures of Mother Nature perform will be something that will make even life more wonderful for you.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, with that beautiful health that we all deserve.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline NevadaBlue

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:59:31 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the welcome. I ordered my woodenware and tools today, relying on the advice given here. Mann Lake has free shipping right now so even though their price was a bit higher, I got a good deal. In the meantime I'll be reading and hopefully one day be able to help here too.  :)