Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants and oil cans  (Read 2066 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Ants and oil cans
« on: September 07, 2010, 02:03:54 am »
Just lost a hive to ants - they moved in to the space between the tin and wood on the lid, and the bees absconded.  Anyone ever have ants get in there?  How would you keep them out, and how do you get rid of them once they are in there.  I'm thinking of wrapping it up tight in a black plastic bag out in the sun on a hot day.  It is too big for my freezer.

I have a question about hive stand legs in cans of oil.  What happens when it rains hard?  Doesn't the oil float up off the water collecting in the cans and spill out?

Definitely want to get more of the polystyrene lids when I can (I have a few of them).  I don't have to worry about things infesting those.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Ants and oil cans
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:00 pm »
I had a hive that kept getting big black carpenter ants in it.   They stayed about the inner cover and the top.  I would dump them out on the ground once a week and they would come back.  I ended them with the blow torch. 

anything