Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: grafting attempt  (Read 3452 times)

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
grafting attempt
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:13:54 pm »
Just like the title says, I performed my first attempt at grafting on the 04-30-12.  I checked in on them today and it looks like 17 of the 45 larva are being fed large amounts of royal jelly.  I am guessing this is a good sign?  The cells that have the RJ in them are mostly drawn out. 
I had performed a cut out several days before and split it up into 3 parts.  I then let sit queenless for 4 days and then introduced the grafted larva.  I am not sure how well this will work but I am excited to see the girls working so hard on the drawing out and feeding these cells.  I did not expect them to work on so many of them.
Jason
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: grafting attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:13:36 am »
good for you, 17 is not bad for your first time, it pretty good actually, now when you graft you just have to have the hives and bee's to put the cells lol....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:25:10 am »
having the hives and bees, im going to be a bit short there.  Still doubtful that 1/2 of those cells that are being drawn out will hatch, mate, and return to the hives though.
 :roll:

Offline cklspencer

• House Bee
    • 3 bee honey
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »
Sounds like a good take, just make sure you check the cell builder for rouge queen cells, if they have one it will hatch before your grafts are ready and kill them all.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:35:26 am »
Just an update.  I checked on the cells yesterday and it seems one of the ladies got out before I got to them.  All the cells had been torn down in one hive and in the second one all but 3 were down.  I am not sure why the 3 were left, if they were bad or the recently hatched queen lost interest.
Live and learn I guess, those girls do not read the same books we do, do they?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 09:30:15 am »
if it can happen it will at times, Had double deep cell build a few years ago, 2 cell frames in it, 70 of 90  cells took, 2 days before they hatched, found a marked queen in the cell builder and she destroyed all cells, I only mark queens that are laying in after her mating flight, she left her nuc and was found in the cell builder, it was about 20 feet away from the cell builder, lesson learned, when a cell builder is made, use queen excluder under bottom deep.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything