Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Laws---- Need Help!!!!  (Read 6704 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Honey Laws---- Need Help!!!!
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:27 am »
I know this has probably been ask several times @ the least :-D!!!

What I need to know is what are the regulations for the packing and selling of honey in your state. I am in particular interested in states that treat honey as a raw Agricultural product and has some exemptions to the standard food processing law for other foods (meat etc.).

Some states have exemptions for casual sells @ farmers markets etc. ( I am not talking about word of mouth sells from your home). I see where Tn has an exemption for under 150 gallons ---- I see where Oregon has an exemption if you keep less than 21 hives. These are the types of examples I am looking for. Please send specific info and hopefully pdf. of exemptions and laws, links to regulations for your state, or a contact number where I can get them.

We are looking into the possible drafting of a bill that may make honey packing a little less restrictive and need specifics.

Thanks
Steve Seigler
South Carolina
John 3:16

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Honey Laws---- Need Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:20:14 am »
let me know if this works  :)doak

www.britishbee.org.uk/articles/honey_labels.php - 42k -

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 01:25:24 am »

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:29:28 am »
Better yet, just Google

Georgia honey selling laws

That will give you gaxzillllons pages :roll:doak

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:47:40 am »
Your local health department can direct you on the regulations governing preparing foods for sale.  Different foods can have different requirements.  But sanitation concerns are foremost.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:24 am »
We are well aware of our local laws and SCDHEC Laws. We are hoping to apply for some kind of relief.

And looking for a State that treats honey as raw Ag. product to pattern by.

Offline Big John

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:41:12 am »
"Semper Fi"

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:50 am »
In addition to your local agriculture organizations, your local beekeeping associations have probably already researched this and will be able to share the current regulations with you.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:10:57 am »
two bees

We are the local beekeeping organization hoping for  a relief. The AG people are the Gov. :-D! No help there so far.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 10:14:58 am »
Thanks doak and Big John

Thanks

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:18:58 am »
The info that Big John posted is exactly the type we are looking for. I called the GA dept of consumer protection and they could not tell me the specific laws governing the packaging and selling of honey for a hobbyist beekeeper, they gave me the general guidelines. In South Carolina I can't put a sign in my front yard "honey for sale" with out having a state inspected honey house...that's ridiculous and why we want to change the current laws.
PS we are part of the local beekeeping association.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:23:42 pm by Wes Sapp »
Wes Sapp

Offline shaux

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 02:08:59 pm »
Tried looking around on Google but can't find anything for Colorado.  Anybody know any of the laws in CO?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 02:16:52 pm »
Try your State Agriculture Dept.
 :)doak

Offline shaux

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 02:23:09 pm »
Went on the website and searched the archived stuff with the Google search.  Didn't really find anything about honey bees other than they are considered live stock.  Gonna try calling them or talking to somebody from the local beek club.

Offline TwoBigCats

• New Bee
    • TwoBigCats
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:57 pm »
as a 2nd year beek located in silicon valley, california, i find this a very interesting thread.

last year i didn't get much honey... this year it appears i may have excess / some to sell.  as i've met local beeks i've always asked about the laws governing selling honey.  to a person, they've all said (basically), "laws, we don't need no stinking laws. we just tell people we've got honey / put out a sign and they buy it."

seems like a nice gig, that is, until someone gets ill and blames the honey for the illness.

so i've gone to the national honey association and they've provided me with marketing / labeling guidelines... but no laws on the actual honey, itself.

and i've gone to my city, and they don't have any laws except the proper licensing of a business.

i've scoured our county websites and they've got nothing.

ditto the california ag site, though i'm not quite finished with that.

so do hobbyists pretty much just sell the stuff and hope nobody gets sick and sues?

i'll spend more time researching since i'm the guy responsible for my own stuff, but i'm curious how things are handled.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 03:33:51 pm »
Texas Administrative Code
 Next Rule>>

TITLE 25 HEALTH SERVICES
PART 1 DEPARTMENT OF STATE HEALTH SERVICES
CHAPTER 229 FOOD AND DRUG
SUBCHAPTER N CURRENT GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICE AND GOOD WAREHOUSING PRACTICE IN MANUFACTURING, PACKING, OR HOLDING HUMAN FOOD
RULE §229.214 Exclusions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following operations are not subject to this section: Establishments engaged solely in the harvesting, storage, or distribution of one or more raw agricultural commodities which are ordinarily cleaned and packed before being marketed to the consuming public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Note: The provisions of this §229.214 adopted to be effective August 15, 1999, 24 TexReg 6082; amended to be effective August 31, 2006, 31 TexReg 6746

www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 04:31:16 pm »
Not sure if this is a law anywhere, but I make sure to have the weights on the honey....honey is sold by weight and not by volume.

I also 'for the sake of safety and to CYA/CMA' I have stickers on the honey that state that honey is not to be fed to babies, etc.

Brenda

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 07:07:37 pm »
Try the Google search, use a variety of WORDS and COMBINATIONS of words, I found many State honey laws,

Here is one;
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1294.pdf

Lots of Laws on the internet, actually I believe all State and some county laws are listed.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 07:29:13 pm »
Here is a another little law, from Missouri, you have to read down to get to the jams & honey;

http://agebb.missouri.edu/sustain/news/CFSSA-0601.pdf

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline TwoBigCats

• New Bee
    • TwoBigCats
California Bee & Honey regulations
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 07:14:55 pm »
folks,

after several days of research through our great state, county and city, i'm pleased to provide (at least) the following link to the state of california dept of agriculture regs for bees and honey. (there may be other ca-based beeks here who are interested):

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fac&group=28001-29000&file=29000-29013

use the find / scroll down to the honey section.

best,
hal