Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall Garden  (Read 6803 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Fall Garden
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:20:24 am »
My spring and summer garden wasn't worth two flips. Several messes of yellow crook necks and about 15 butter nuts. My fall plants, collards, 3 kinds of cabbage and 2 kinds of lettuce and my late tomatoes "cherry" type or salad tomatoes, are doing fine.
I got me a new camera and as soon as I learn to use it I will post some new pics. :)don2 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Fall Garden
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:47:53 pm »
I had a good crop this summer and then got real busy with work.   Only good one mess of beans picked and let the rest go.   Okra turned hard.   Cantaloupe rotted.   Chicken ate the tomatoes as they fell on the ground (along with the cucumbers and squash). Plowed everything but the sweet potatoes under this weekend.  Need to put some greens in now if I can come up with some time. 

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »
I planted a huge garden of greens. I plan to share. Turnips, mustard, cabbage, collards, and rutabagas. We are about a week away from our first harvest.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:43:41 pm »
I can smell the cornbread...............

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:44:54 pm »
I am going to have to lime my plot, all my melons rotted on the vine.I was 3 months with no more than an inch or two of rain and was afraid I was going to pull my well too low. I am thinking of putting a deeeeep well next year. :)don 2

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 10:54:47 pm »
Haven’t heard much on the news about Atlanta running out of water like we did a couple of years ago.  I know it’s been hot down there, but are the reservoirs back up to normal levels from winter rains?

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:12:00 pm »
I am 70+ miles south east of Atlanta, So there water supply has no effect on me. I am out in the sticks 17 miles from the nearest town. We had several streams dry up and the big ones was down to a trickle this year. :)don2

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »
our garden was a bust also. what the rabbits and dear did not get the drought did. we did have several Topsy turvy plants. but they produced very little also. watered them 3 times a day. still dried up. I live on walnut creek that draws from the Piedmont wildlife refugee. I got down to about a foot but never dried up. it feeds into the Ocmoggee river. in Macon.All our wild blackberries dried up and the flowers did not last so the spring/summer flow dried up also. but sense the fall rain came the goldenrod has blasted. and the bees are going crazy as soon as it warms up in the mornings. the hives smell strong so the bees are making good progress now.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 12:59:56 am »
divemaster1963 you are right here where I am. I am up here right next to Putnam County. We need to have a talk with Ben Jones. :roll: :)don2

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 09:10:33 pm »
divemaster1963 you are right here where I am. I am up here right next to Putnam County. We need to have a talk with Ben Jones. :roll: :)don2

hey don2.

well have to get together one weekend for breakfest in gray. I'll introduce you to several guys around gray that are beeks. by the way who is Ben Jones. is he the DNR guy around here. I'' PM you my cell No. so we can get together.

John

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 10:20:53 pm »
Ben Jones,the weather man on channel 13 WMAZ.
My Nephew's  brother use to have bees. I don't know if he still does or not.
I can't remember his name First name, The last name is Thornton. :)don2

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:40 am »
Ben Jones,the weather man on channel 13 WMAZ.

No wonder I didn't know who he was. He was The one I blamed for the summer heat :-X.
I am not sure if I have heard of your nephews. I on the west side of Jones. out Hwy 18. I right now only know of 4 for sure. One is a Older woman who lives on upper River rd. her and her late husband use to have several 100 hives years ago. she now just has 1 or 2 she keeps at the house. I have not had a chance to go talk to her about things that her and her husband did learned about hives in the area. I have been making nuc traps for the pass few weeks. trying to get them ready for spring. I am going to locate them on the levee in Macon. I have seen thousands of mild tempered bees out there. hope to grab a few swarms there. I am also setting up a few traps at the reservoir in Macon. I have seen a couple of hives in the area that I could not get access to.  pm me if you want to get together one day and maybe we can set it up to have a small group get together. I like going to the perry meetings but they are hard to attend because of the time crunch of work and distance. but if we can have get togethers closer plus also find out problems and success's above the fall line here.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »
I went to the meeting a couple years ago that was held at the Jones co. Gov. complex where the school use to be. At that time there was talk of getting a meeting started in Gray at that location but it didn't get off the ground.
There should be enough Bee Keepers in this area to get one started in the TRI county area.
I have been running slack for the last year or two. Lost down to one colony and had a swarm come in this past spring, so I just let both build and didn't disturb them. Now I have got to get into them and put some beetle traps in. Other than that I haven't had any problem with them sense the first year CCD hit me and took it's toll. Like 3 or 4 years ago. Hope to get back in the groove, My customers miss my honey. :)don2

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 01:56:14 am »
My garden did do squat this year.  I am in north Texas and it was hot and dry for along time.   Since then I have sold my house and will be starting a over again before long.  Planning on a good planting of fruit trees and maybe start a small vineyard.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline anglina

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 09:45:23 am »
Hi......
Right now, before you forget, put a rubber band around your wrist to remind you of one gardening task that cannot be postponed: Planting seeds for your fall garden. As summer draws to a close, gardens everywhere can morph into a tapestry of delicious greens, from tender lettuce to frost-proof spinach, with a sprinkling of red mustard added for spice.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:43:39 am »
My fall "greens" garden has been outstanding. I have been able to bless many friends with a pot full of greens. I have eaten so many that the whites of my eyes have a green tint.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan