Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NUC Usage and Priority  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Hillbillenigma

• New Bee
    • Centsible Sounds
NUC Usage and Priority
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
I've been reading several BeeKeeping books (in prep for starting in the Spring) and a couple of Catalogs.  Though I have run across many references to NUCs and lots of photos I still don't have a clear understanding of what they are used for and how important are they to a NewBee keeper? 

Thanks in advance. 
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan 1985

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: NUC Usage and Priority
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:35:39 pm »
I've been reading several BeeKeeping books (in prep for starting in the Spring) and a couple of Catalogs.  Though I have run across many references to NUCs and lots of photos I still don't have a clear understanding of what they are used for and how important are they to a NewBee keeper? 

Thanks in advance. 

Think of nucs as a starter hive or nursery.  It is half as wide as a conventional hive so the bees can make better use of space and less time on guarding the entrance or warming a part of the hive they're not using.  The utilization of space is such that it is better to overwinter a small hive in a 2 tier nuc than a single story 10 frame hive.  The bees will use energy keeping the nucs warm, less likely to be caught away from the cluster fetching stores during wqarmer periods of winter, and can survive in a smaller cluster; all things that use less energy and, hence, makes the best use of supplies on hand. 

Nucs are great for splitting hives for the same reasons and are a more manageable size. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hillbillenigma

• New Bee
    • Centsible Sounds
Re: NUC Usage and Priority
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:38:02 pm »
Thanks Brian, that helps alot.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan 1985

anything