Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spearmint  (Read 13237 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Spearmint
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:34:54 pm »
Last year I aquired some spearmint and got it planted ( I kind you not you can put a leaf in your mouth and think you have spearmint gum). I wanted to get more so I went back to the same greenhouse and asked for some more. I always just get clippings due to I go across the country (Indiana) to my favorite greenhouse where most everything is only a dollar but for me mostly free. Anyway, back to the story. This year she cut me off some stems but when I rubbed the leaves it did not smell like spearmint. It kind of had a "cat pee" mint smell to it. Could the smell be different because the cuttings are in a ziploc bag? Could this be a different type of mint? I really dont want to mix them so Im lost of what to do.

I also got 8 pineapple sage plants to put out this year. They smell great!

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
Re: Spearmint
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:34:49 pm »
The ziploc bag should not affect the smell if it is actual spearmint. I have the kind you are talking about as well, you can put a leaf in your mouth and it tastes like gum, and I've put it in a bag and it still smelled strongly like spearmint. There are many varieties of mint and the leaves all look similar, it is possible she gave you a different variety. I only grow spearmint and peppermint so I don't know anything about the other varieties, maybe someone who knows more will chime in. Is it possible that you could take them to a nursery and see if someone there could identify it?

~mary

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 03:09:47 pm »
I grow spearmint and pineapple sage too!
 But, if you want a real treat, Lick a spearmint leaf and dip it in sugar, then eat it!...Just like CANDY!
Not to mention Mojitos!

your friend,
john

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:07 am »
Ill have to try that!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:45:51 pm »
If you can stand the wait, in a year or two you will have plenty, if you take care of it.
doak :)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:12:35 am »
Ok, my wife has been drinking peppermint water with peppermint oil. My son wants to drink spearmint water. Is there a way to get the full flavor from the leaf into the water? Do you boil it first?

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:40:18 pm »
I suppose you could run it through a tea maker.  My wife tossed in some speamint leaves with tea bags and make a spearmint tea.
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:24:18 am »
I planted beebalm with my mints this year too....What do I do with bee balm>?

your friend,
john

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:19:24 am »
I have beebalm and the bees sure do avoid it. I just let it grow because the smell is too strong for me.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 01:30:00 am »
Thats funny!!!
 I got the beebalm cuz I thot bees were gonna like it!
live and learn!

your friend,
john

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 05:09:04 am »
John bees love bee balm. Its well documented as a bee attractant. I planted a good amount of it myself and I see it on bee plant lists all the time.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:00:13 am »
John bees love bee balm. Its well documented as a bee attractant. I planted a good amount of it myself and I see it on bee plant lists all the time.

That hasn't been my experience Natalie.  My girls ignore the bee balm, but the bumbles attack it with gusto.  I assumed it was one of those that require a longer tongue.  hmmm....maybe my bees just haven't acquired a taste for it yet  :-D.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline donstojko

• New Bee
  • Apis mellifera carnica
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 10:19:23 am »
Do you know the latin name for spearmint and beebalm?

thanks

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 07:39:57 am »
I dont think the bees can get their tongues to the bottom of the flowers. Im guessing there is several types of bee balm, I have the one that has long small red flowers that are kind of look like little tubes. I have only seen the hummingbird moth at my bee balm.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 09:56:13 am »
Ok, my wife has been drinking peppermint water with peppermint oil. My son wants to drink spearmint water. Is there a way to get the full flavor from the leaf into the water? Do you boil it first?
If you want to get concentrated peppermint oil, you have to distill it. probably easier done than discussed though really.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 07:42:25 pm »
Most bee balms have flowers that are just too deep for honeybees.  You'll see them checking them out a bit, but they don't spend much time there, they just can't reach the nectar.  More bumblebees on bee balm than anything else, but I grow it anyways, it's a nice plant to have around for the other pollinators.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 11:00:55 am »
I grow red bee balm, honeybees are not overly attracted to red, the nectaries are too deep for the honeybee, now the hummingbirds!!!  Wow!!!  Beautiful days, to love and live, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 11:30:01 pm »
Shawn, I would "muddle" it like you do for mojitos, will taste fresher.  JBF, I have chocolate mint, now that is good!  The bees love it too and it is great on desserts and in chox milk!  It makes weed whacking fun cause the whole yard smells like a peppermint pattie!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 12:46:58 am »
Shawn, I would "muddle" it like you do for mojitos, will taste fresher.  JBF, I have chocolate mint, now that is good!  The bees love it too and it is great on desserts and in chox milk!  It makes weed whacking fun cause the whole yard smells like a peppermint pattie!
Jody

Please, more info. can I grow it in north florida? it must be edible. can I look it up as chocolate mint, or is there another name that will save me from a ton of candy pages?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 12:57:50 am »
I don't know why it wouldn't.  I don't know the real name, I can send you a hunk if you want, I have tons!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard