Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brown sugar vs. white sugar  (Read 7403 times)

Offline firefly

• New Bee
Brown sugar vs. white sugar
« on: June 12, 2004, 03:10:11 pm »
I'm curious as to whether brown sugar might be better than white sugar for the bees. Or, possibly, adding some molasis into the white sugar solution might add nutrition that the bees can use.  The chemical consituents of nectar might answer that question. Although brown sugar and molasis is more nutritional than pure white sugar, it might not be anything that benefits the bees.

Anyone know anything on the subject?

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 11:04:41 am »
Everything I have read says do not use brown sugar or molassas as it will cause disentary in the bees. The impurities in the carmalized sugar is not good for them. They get all the nutrition they need from pollen and nectar.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 11:04:53 am »
Everything I have read says do not use brown sugar or molassas as it will cause disentary in the bees. The impurities in the carmalized sugar is not good for them. They get all the nutrition they need from pollen and nectar.

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 01:48:32 pm »
I agree, all the books I've seen say to avoid brown suger, I presume someone has done some experiments.

Adam

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Brown sugar vs. white sugar
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 03:33:17 pm »
Quote from: firefly
molasis into the white sugar solution might add nutrition that the bees can use.  

I know a man, who put melassis to hives, and he lost all 10 them.

Sugar has not any nutrition but energy. Pollen has the rest nutritients.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 03:40:31 pm »
Adam, Looking at your picture I think your working your hive too fast! The bees like you to go slow at it!

lol
 :D

Quote from: asleitch
I agree, all the books I've seen say to avoid brown suger, I presume someone has done some experiments.

Adam

anything