Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: roaches around hives  (Read 4325 times)

Offline desrtgent

• Brood
roaches around hives
« on: February 17, 2007, 05:39:26 am »
what is the best way to treat for roaches very close to my hive entrances? 

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: roaches around hives
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:47:52 am »
Hmm.
My first guess is Boric Acid. Which is basically the main ingredent to 20 mule team borax. However, don't put it in the hive because I don't know how it would affect the bees. I would say put it around the hive but not in front of the entrance.

I had roaches once in a hive but when the hive gain strength the roaches got kicked out.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:04:40 am »
>what is the best way to treat for roaches very close to my hive entrances?

I've never worried about roaches.  If they are in the hive it's a sign of weakness in the hive, not the cause.  If they are outside, that's just normal.  Roaches are scavengers.  They have coexisted with bees since bees have been around.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ndvan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:52:08 pm »
This is sorta off topic, but does anybody really know whether boric acid hurts bees.  It kils roaches. Would it kill hive beetles and not hurt the bees?  Just wondering.

Ndvan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 07:16:51 pm »
I love boric acid.
read here
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=4011.0

I have not had to use it my hives though, my house yes, hives no.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline ndvan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 07:27:10 pm »
As I understand that post, boric acid kills bees, but only if they get it on them.  Is that right? 

I have seen SHB traps where you put checkmite or some other chemical in what looks like corrugated cardboard, but it's plastic.  Has anybody tried something similar with boric acid traps inside hives.  Maybe a sealed, dark container where beetles might go to hide with holes small enough for beetles but too big for bees.  I have seen designs for similar traps with oil that drowns them. 

Thanks,

ndvan

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:12:38 pm »
Check out this post about the SHB trap to which you refer:

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=6280.msg37079#msg37079

Not dangerous chemicals in the hive - just vinegar.  And the beetles die and I celebrate!

Here it is with drowned beetles in it:

Linda T in Atlanta  :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 11:27:20 pm »
what looks like corrugated cardboard, but it's plastic.

It is called coroplast.   You can get it at local sign shops, or do what I do and pick up election signs the day after elections.   It is great stuff.  I use it for SBB inserts and starter strips on my TBH.  I even recall seeing somewhere on the web a whole TBH made out of the stuff.  Sorry, can't answer your "real" question though.  Fortunately I don't have SHBs.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 04:08:41 pm »
I've never found any harm in having roaches around my hives.  In Florida, they're a fact of life, inside or out.  They'll mostly be "palmetto bugs" and, frankly, I have as much problem with them as I have with lizards around my hives.  I view any impact they may have as being very minor.  There are many worse things for bees than an insect that eats the stuff that falls through the screened bottom board.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:19:07 pm »
Roaches aren't a problem.  They just hang around for the scraps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 11:26:08 pm »
In the heat of the summer, I have huge roaches on my deck where my hives are - like Apis629, we usually call them Palmetto bugs to keep from having to accept their roach-iness. 

But I've never found them to be at all a problem for the hives...they probably feed under the hives but I've never seen one actually close enough although they drop off of the trees in my deck and literally run for cover if I turn on the exterior lights (which I never do because the bees get confused by my outdoor lights).

Linda T in roach-infested Atlanta