Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gale hives  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Hachi

• New Bee
Gale hives
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:38:10 am »
I've heard of these mentioned but never seen one or seen any plans on how to make one.  Has anyone got any experience or knowledge of this type of hive?

Moots

Re: Gale hives
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:01:10 am »
I've heard of these mentioned but never seen one or seen any plans on how to make one.  Has anyone got any experience or knowledge of this type of hive?

The fact that I've never heard of it doesn't surprise me.  On the other hand, the fact that Google doesn't seem to have heard of it, I find really strange.

Sure you didn't mean a Glen Hive?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 01:04:50 pm »
Have not heard of them either.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Hachi

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:29:15 pm »
The guy texted me the name, definately Gale.  It holds thirteen UK national frames.  I tried Google before I posted and DC's site and drew the same blank.

Offline BILL.HEARD

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 11:33:46 am »
Gale was one of the larger bee farmers in this country in the 30's and 40's, I do know that some of these guys used old ammo boxes as brood chambers that held around 15 standard frames, they also used the soup kitchen trays for feeding bees.
This might be of help to you.

Offline beebreeder

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:43:15 pm »
Hachi we have a beekeeper in Wiltshire that uses only Gale hives, he may be a member of your association
kev