Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 6pkgs Installed in 11 Frame Foundationless Langstroth  (Read 3168 times)

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
6pkgs Installed in 11 Frame Foundationless Langstroth
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:09 pm »
20120414 6pkgs installed in 11 Frame Foundationless Langstroth all Medium Condos; current privileges do not allow me to post pictures just yet. No spraying w/sugar water, removed 3 center frames & poured the bees in, released queens (removed candy plug) laid queen cage on screened bottom boards. 20120420 1 AWOL, 1 drift issue & my subsequent attempt (failure to cage that queen; thought I might be squeezing to hard & let up a little & well there she went) to cage queen before returning excess bee from the hive they drifted to. The other 4 are fine + one has at least 2pkgs in it maybe even some of those presumed AWOL Hive and with that the question. The one hive appears to have quite a few bees hanging out on all 11 frames; although not a lot of comb has been drawn it appears quite congested (like they are dangling on one another) suggesting a super be added although there is not a lot of comb? I just installed 2pkgs today to replace the presumed lost packages so back up to 6 colonies. Thanks
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: 6pkgs Installed in 11 Frame Foundationless Langstroth
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:51 am »
I've had more trouble this year than most with bees moving next door.  Several who did that had caged queens.  Others were direct released.  I don't see any difference on that but this year seemed worse than most.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:49:59 pm »
Thanks for your help Robo.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:05:07 pm »
What's the thought behind 3-5 entrance holes in the top super? Do you also have multiple holes on the side or is it just an illusion?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:13:27 pm »
Looking good.   You have a mess of supers ready for next year I see.

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »
Badger, not entrances this is an innercover/ventilator/insulator/and room for a top feeder.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:20:37 pm by ScooterTrash »

www.VPBEES.com

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 10:09:35 pm »
Scooter
Thanks for teaching me something. I've never seen one before.  I feed from the top in an empty deep but want the hive to keep it warm since it is so cold here in the spring and fall.

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 09:03:29 am »
Badger, the 5 holes were a result of the 3 initial holes being located to low aka piece of insulation blocked them. The holes are obviously screened inside and the holes are slopped downward to the outside to keep the rain out. These componets may be purchased from bee suppliers and/or fabricated.

As I have gone foundationless leveling of the hive was a concern so utilizing T-Nuts and then inserting bolts in them for adjustment of the hive was simpified.

www.VPBEES.com

anything