Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: kitten help please  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
kitten help please
« on: May 21, 2007, 12:06:08 pm »
looks like my mom kitty has gone missing.  didn't think much of not seeing her yesterday because the weather was so bad.  she's not here this AM either.  kittens are just over 3 weeks and good size.  what are the odds of saving them if i bring them in and feed them.  i've done this before with good results, but not with kittens so young.

don't want to get started on this project if the odds are 0.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: kitten help please
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 01:41:41 pm »
don't know much about raising little kittens, and i think very little people do but you might as well give it a try, although, usually people don't know what to do with kittens, so.-..if you don't know what you'll do with them wehn they get bigger...solve the problem now. on the other hand, if you know what to do with them..give it a try, it shouldn't take long before it shows on how succesful the project is, but..if a calf can grow up don't see why little kittens wouldn't.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:11:47 pm »
thought about dropping them in the water trough, but they are good size and pretty active, so i changed my mind.  went to the feed store for milk substitute and when i saw the price, thought about the water trough again....but, being the big softy i am, i sucked it up and bought the stuff.

they ate well and i did the warm wet cloth on the belly thing.  know you have to do that with puppies, don't know about kittens, but can't hurt.

now i have to figure out where to put them in the house......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:01:33 pm »
Here's a link on raising abandoned or feral kittens:  Clicky

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 08:33:04 pm »
thanks!  that was some good stuff.  guess i'm on the right track....

Offline prisoner#1

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:09:41 pm »
they ate well and i did the warm wet cloth on the belly thing.  know you have to do that with puppies, don't know about kittens, but can't hurt.

that's only needed for the week or so with either of them, kittens poop pretty well at 3 weeks, it's still not a bad idea, it acclimates them to people

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 11:13:04 pm »
as it turned out, they all died.  they must have had a bug of some kind.  they died within 24 hours of each other.  now i'm thinking that that's what happened to mom also.  they went from being ok to dead really fast.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 08:34:06 am »
Sorry to hear you lost the kittens.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:38:42 am »
Kathy, too bad the kittens perished.  I am not a cat lover, but any kind of animal death is kind of a sad thing.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything