Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comparison shopping, anyone else hate ordering sight unseen over the net.  (Read 2683 times)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
I don't need much stuff but I'm in the market for a new smoker (and some other small items like gloves and such) and for stuff like that I hate buying without handling the product. I'm kind of a stickler for tools that are supposed to last a good long while with care in their use of course. While I love the convienence of the net, even more so than catalogs, some things I like to inspect before whipping out the card. Anyone else feel that way?
So to that end I am asking for the input of you nice folks on the forum. I've narrowed it down to a few selections and was wondering your experiences.
Smokers;
This has the best price but that doesn't always mean the best quality, though I've never had a complaint with the few items I've bought from GB. Not this item though.
http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_ProductDetail.cfm?PC=3&PSC=22&P=22192&Product_Name=smoker with removeable inner can&Token=71.199.171.22:{ts_2010-12-12_18:39:31}-291287
This one looks the best but pictures on a screen ain't everything. Never bought from these folks.
http://blueskybeesupply.com/_smoke_daddy_sideliner_bee_smoker.html
For a dollar more Kelley's has one and Kelleys are good to do busines with.
http://www.kelleybees.com/CMS/CMSPage.aspx?redirect=n-3-734ea7af-1bd3-425b-8c73-9de13eea8e33

And the gloves all appear to be the same, are they?
http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_ProductDetail.cfm?PC=3&PSC=21&P=22036&Product_Name=goatskin vent lighther glv, large&Token=71.199.171.22:{ts_2010-12-12_18:39:31}-291287

http://blueskybeesupply.com/vented_goatskin_gloves.html

http://www.kelleybees.com/CMS/CMSPage.aspx?redirect=n-3-a2d87ea8-5502-469f-ad94-4e024ab30315
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Comparison shopping, anyone else hate ordering sight unseen over the net.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:19:19 pm »
Don't forget to consider shipping in the cost. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:35:20 pm »
Forget the cheapie smoker from GB. I bought two of the regular ones (not the dome top) from them last year for the remarkable price of $19 ea. Neither of them made it through the year.

I can't complain about the Dadant model (around $40) that I've had for years now.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:38:13 pm »
I'm going to try this smoker next season, can put my own can on the inside
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1103

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:45:18 pm »
M009281 is the model (I think)...the heat shield is important if you use it for long.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:11 pm »
wd, is that one atianless or galvanized. I assume galvanized since it does not mention stainless.

hardwood, if I were running a large yard our needing a smoker for more than an hour or two that one would be it. May main needs is for cutouts and I don't need a large fire to put out. This one will ride in the truck far more than used.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:11:45 am »
to put them out, I insert a stick and sometimes a piece of cloth in the smoke whole. no it's not stainless, For life expectancy I've heard 2 years on the modle I have in hand - I have had the same one for 10 years. It's showing its use but still usable, I don't fire it up on a daily basis. I see a few smokers laying along side the road every year. I'll keep my older one as spare. It would be nice buy and have them last a life time.  

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »
I've used this one for 5 years now.  https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=44  I had the larger one but proceeded to run over it within a month of starting beekeeping.  Kept the interchangeable bellows but everything else was destroyed.

Short of not being "run-over" proof I've put it through a whole lot and it's got at least another 5 years in it.  I shut off the airflow with the cork from a wine bottle.  Works perfectly, if it breaks us it for smoker fuel.  If you loose it, so what?, jam some grass in there and get another cork when you can.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »
Every one is talking about putting them out !

Getting them lit and keeping them going is the art.

Been told that the bigger ones stay lit better, Since I never had a small one I can't say.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:29:11 pm »
Every one is talking about putting them out !

Getting them lit and keeping them going is the art.

Been told that the bigger ones stay lit better, Since I never had a small one I can't say.

Bee-Bop

It seems alot of folks have a problem with that. I'm an old fire bug so I have the opposite issue, not shooting flame out the top. ;)
Your right though there is a difference in a hot fire and cool smoke.

anything