Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Advice on Keeping a "Volunteer" Swarm?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline finnegan

• New Bee
Advice on Keeping a "Volunteer" Swarm?
« on: July 13, 2007, 01:00:25 pm »
Hi folks -

I've got a couple of hives here in Southern Maine that died off this winter, and now that the clover's exploding down here, there are quite a few volunteers who just appeared at the hives, and there's quite a bit of activity now. Any advice on keeping those bees in the hives? Do I need to think about adding a queen, or should I just leave them alone and hope for the best?

Any and all advice most appreciated!

John

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: Advice on Keeping a "Volunteer" Swarm?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:29:41 pm »
ummmm, did a swarm move in, or is the activity just robbing out whats left of the previous inhabitants?
if it's a swarm, it's capable of taking care of itself-the queen part.
if you haven't got any frames inside and they built comb on the walls and stuff..bad luck if they settled on the old equipment with the old comb, that's better. just mend them..umm a little better than your previous colony (the over wintering part :-D)

Offline finnegan

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 01:33:17 pm »
Thanks, Mici - I don't know yet whether they're just robbing the honey or moving in. There's so much traffic I sort of thought they were just cleaning it out, but I haven't opened it up yet to see what kind of activity is going on inside. But your point is well taken -- if they're moving in, they'll likely bring a queen with them, then?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 04:33:55 pm »
exactly.
but...there is only one way to find out, that is by opening the hive.
now...i'm not really sure if this is just your way of talking or percepting bees.
a swarm moves into a hive instantly, not like 5 bees/hour.

anyway...open it up to see what's really happening. BTW if you see bees trying to enter the hive everywhere-not just the entrance, it's more likely just robbing.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:19:19 am »
Looks like you may have some bees that may have found a home. Take out a lease agreement and get them to sign it. They get room and board you get honey. Look at the hive entrance at night. If the bees seem well set up they have moved in. If there are almost no bees at night you have robbing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline gunny

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:43:51 am »
Put your ear on the top or side of the hive box.  Give a good tap on the side of the hive, you'll know right away if they are robbing or have taken up residence.  Residents will got offended, robbers won't.

Offline finnegan

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:26:38 pm »
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm going to crack it open today and see what's going on - hopefully I won't disturb them enough that it won't seem such a welcome new home.

John

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 04:33:28 pm »
  A small beek I work with om removals lost 10 hives last winter. So far 3 swarms have moved in the empty equipment. They seem to like the "lived in" look.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.