Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wholesale beekeeping supplies in Oz  (Read 6764 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Wholesale beekeeping supplies in Oz
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:53:03 am »
Hey everybody, just wondering if any suppliers in Australia sell wholesale?

Offline ula ula

• New Bee
Re: Wholesale beekeeping supplies in Oz
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:20:18 am »
hi
   i got on to a mob in Brisbane $14.60 for 8 frame deep cheap compared to allot places.i deal with factory.some are charging $25.00 for same super.their have bee some one down that way that you can deal direct.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:55 am »
How'd you get on with this? I found redpaths.com.au to be as cheap as anyone and i like their service and the location...but this caper does ger costly, especially as i try to expand to my hive per acre limit :) so am keen on the saving money too if its possible.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:22:47 am »
I've found a guy in Central Victoria who does the following prices for timbers:

- Completed 8 frame super wax dipped and painted $25
- Completed 8 frame base wax dipped and painted $17
- Completed 8 frame lid wax dipped and painted: with vents $22 without vents $20
- Frames assembled $3.20
- Frames unassembled $1.10

I haven't found any wholesale prices on smokers, veils, tools etc yet

Offline jdaley

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:37:21 am »
 I have used the poly hives in the past and am considering getting a few more for my hobby sized operation.
Has anybody had experience with them, the lower maintenance was what attracted me.
John Daley
Oakleigh , Melbourne.
 Hives at Bendigo in the Ironbark forest area.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:21:09 pm »
I have used the poly hives in the past and am considering getting a few more for my hobby sized operation.
Has anybody had experience with them, the lower maintenance was what attracted me.

Startup costs with those are quite high though aren't they?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 09:19:20 pm »
I have heard the people who make some of these hives down here around Melbourne talk and some people who are trying them out talk about them too.

The feedback I heard from the person trying them out was that the bees from that hive are out much earlier in the morning than his other hives. Better insulation properties is them assumption. I'm not keen on them because they're 10 frame boxes and I'm an 8 frame keep.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:29:23 pm »
I have heard the people who make some of these hives down here around Melbourne talk and some people who are trying them out talk about them too.

The feedback I heard from the person trying them out was that the bees from that hive are out much earlier in the morning than his other hives. Better insulation properties is them assumption. I'm not keen on them because they're 10 frame boxes and I'm an 8 frame keep.

Yeah, i can see benefits of the better insulation properties i.e. earlier starts. I wonder how that would translate in summer though? Would they get hotter than a timber hive?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 11:09:46 pm »
I wouldn't have thought so given they fire up the evaporative cooler when it gets too hot. It may even help them more.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:36 am »
I wouldn't have thought so given they fire up the evaporative cooler when it gets too hot. It may even help them more.

Very true - would certainly be interesting to do a comparison - i'll wait until they bring out an 8 frame though

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:24:51 am »
What the guy was saying was that it costs thousands to set up the injection mold for a box.

When they were deciding what size to make, they looked at what size was most popular in Australia and the ratio was 60% 10 frame so that's the way they went. I don't think they were planning on bringing out an 8 frame.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 01:56:02 am »
Yeah, moulds are incredibly expensive! it's a shame! maybe a commercial beek will come along who wants to amoratise the mould costs...