Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Breaking Ground! We've doubled our garden's size!  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Breaking Ground! We've doubled our garden's size!
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:01 am »
Hey guys!  My neighbor came over last month and doubled the size of our garden!  We had way too much food last year, might have to sell some corn at my honey stand this year too!

Here's my neighbor Marvin on his old McCormic Farmall Cub Cadet with a plow attached.  He came over a week later with his big diesel tractor with the 3' tiller and tilled it too.  We found a stump burried in the middle, will probably go out there tomorrow with my grandfather's track-hoe and dig it up.  Either that or just plant around it this year and dig it out in the fall.  Still haven't decided what we're gunna plant yet.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Breaking Ground! We've doubled our garden's size!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:42:03 am »
Looks great, Sean, you'll have way too much to harvest this season!

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:35:24 am »
Thats some good looking dirt, hope you get a great crop!!
God bless Us all!!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:28:13 pm »
Yeah, it's great dirt!  Wont even need to add fertilizer this year. 

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:02 pm »
When can you start planting there? 1st of June here and then we could still get a frost. I put some things in sooner but usually wait till June. Still got snow on the ground here.  :'(
God bless Us all!!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:50:45 am »
I think we might be past the last frost.  Not sure exactly.  I start planting when the old timer next door (the guy on the tractor in the pic) starts planting!  lol  He literally lives off his garden.  I have some rhubarb that needs to go in right now.  Potatos and Onions can go in now too I guess.

Sean Kelly

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:31:55 am »
Sean, here, 45 km northeast of Vancouver (PNW they call us), our last frost free date is the end of April.  After that time then I begin to think about putting in my gardens, I find that if I plant any sooner, most of the veggies stall and do the same as if I just waited a couple of weeks longer, for slightly warmer soil.  The old rule of thumb here is to have the veggie garden in by the 24th of May.  Have the best and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 01:41:52 am »
Great looking dirt. All I have here is mostly sand. Strawberries and raspberries love the sand but not much else.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:56:28 am »
Cindi, thanks for that info.  You're not all that far from me and I think our climates are pretty much the same.  Yeah, it's still dropping down into the mid 30's at night (just above freezing) and we've only had a couple frosty mornings.  But it did snow like 3 weeks ago which is pretty rare this time of the year over here.  Can't wait to get started though.  Not sure of all the things I'd like to plant this year.  Gunna definately do corn, pumpkins, onions, carrots, radishes.  Would love to try and plant grapes this year.  And we're going to grow a TON more cucumbers this year since the two vines we planted last year did SO AWESOME!  Plus I got a killer dill pickle recepie that we tried last year that was incredible (spicy too!).  That was the very first time I tried to make my own pickles and fell in love with it!  The best I've ever had in my life!

Sean Kelly

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:43 am »
Sean, you are becoming that farmer, the one that will provide food to people, yeah!!!  I know that you will have wonderful luck when you go to sell some of your excess veggies this year.   When I hear the stories about people and their food crops coming on, I just get so excited.  I can't wait for the summertime and the bounties that the fresh gardens bring.  I have began a few early things, like lettuce....that may sound strange, but I like to get a bit of a jump on the lettuce by starting it indoors and setting the plants out.  Then I can get that succession sowing of lettuce to keep the lettuces young and lovely.  I will be starting more soon, like broccoli.  I have lots of leeks that are about 3 weeks old now.  The leeks that I have still growing in the garden are not fairing that well, I think that they may have a lack of fertilizer, although I don't know how.  I will let them go to seed for the bees to gather nectar from, they are not really worth much of a harvest for food, I may pick a few.

I am expecting to see asparagus coming up really soon, but as of the day before yesterday, haven't seen them yet.  They are very late.  We had such an unusually cold winter that things are really set back.  I am now feeling like I need to mow my lawn, that is over 2 weeks late.  By the first of April I normally would have already mowed.  Oh, summertime, summertime, oh, summer, summertime!!!  Have the best of this great, beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:34:54 am »
I could have sworn I replied to this post yesterday, but I must have messed it up.
I would put the potatoes in the newly tilled part of the garden.
Potatoes grown where grass has been do get scab for the first year or two.
Good luck with your garden.
That is some great looking dirt!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 09:39:46 am »
Tai, I had scab on the potatoes once, what a nuisance.  I just peeled off the scab and pretended that the mashed potatoes were speckled, hee, hee.  I love potatoes fresh picked out of the garden, boiled, a little bit of dill from the garden and tons of real butter, oooooh, those summertime treats.  Beautiful, most wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 12:48:56 pm »
Your dirt looks great Sean, I Have rocks!  BUT the soil that is there will grow anything.  I would do the cool weather stuff, start lettuce in the house like Cindi, peas do great in the cooler weather. I use the Mothers Day rule for tenders, beans & corn won't grow any faster putting em in earlier, you just have to plant em again as they need warmer soil to grow.  Ohhh, fresh green beans YUM.  You can grow potatoes in old tires, just keep stacking & adding soil as they grow, easier to harvest as they are all contained! 
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard