Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thanks, whoever you are . . . PART 2  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Thanks, whoever you are . . . PART 2
« on: November 03, 2004, 09:20:21 pm »
About three months ago I wrote about a mysterious stranger who left a hive tool wrapped in a shopping bag on my front porch.  Well, it happened again!  I came home late this evening and found another shopping bag tied to my mailbox.  Inside as a set of frame holders, made to hook over the end wall of a super and hold frames as they'e pulled.  Accompanying the holder was a very nicely drawn picture depicting how to use them.  Now I can only think someone saw when I was doing an inspection a few weeks ago and set a frame against the super on the ground, and the wind blew it over.  A real split-moment in time.

So who is it that knows where I live, is handy with metal work, has a keen mechanical drafting technique, and probably lives nearby???

-- Kris

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 12:45:43 am »
you really haven't figured it out yet?

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 08:21:17 am »
I am buying more bees from a older bee keeper in the spring who won't hear of a sale at this time. I told him that I knew he would miss the girls after over 40 years with them, I Gave him a standing invitation to come visit them at any time he choses.
I would make a sign inviting the mystery donor to come and join in on any inspections I do in the future and post it where it is easily seen from the road way.
 :D  Al

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 10:05:26 am »
I agree. You should somehow make an invitation. It must feel odd to have this going on..... like you're being "watched". Most likely it's a very harmless (and nice) person. Do you know all your neighbors really well? It sounds like it has to be one of them. I seems that it has to be someone who has a good view of your bee yard and see when you're out there working. That's not really a bad thing - to have your neighbors watching you. All my neighbors do. Most of my neighbors are older, and many are related to eachother, so everything I do is watched over and then they call eachother on the phone to talk about it. :) LOL They don't often ask me any questions (what are you doing, why are you doing that), unless they just can't seem to figure it out.
It seems to me that this person giving gifts is most likely nice, and not strange. :) Possibly they're shy or lonely.   ??

Beth

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 04:10:05 pm »
Can you give them my address, there are still a few things I need before the spring!   :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 08:47:31 pm »
i know kris is smarter than to put out signs and invite who knows what onto her property.   bad idea!
besides, "the watching" is done on this forum.  :)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 11:32:09 pm »
I have my suspicions, although I just can't say for sure . . .

Not my neighbors, though.  The neighbors to the west keep their own small hives of bumble-bees, to pollinate the tomatoes in their commercial hydoponic greenhouses.  They're okay with the hive, and the additional hives to come.  The neighbors farther away to the east board horses, and they have no problems with the bees, either.  The husband thinks the smoker is cool.  None of them has expressed any real interest in the bees, though.  But across the street nearest our house is a rather large church parking lot, with has a congregation from throughout the area.  And there have been some Sunday mornings I've been coming and going from workshop to hive and back in my suit and/or veil and have been very visible to several hundreds.  That's the direction my suspicions lie.  Mostly.

But I also believe that Mark (whatever his denomination might be) is right  -- "the watching" is probably done on this forum.    :wink:    

Thank you!  And stop in for coffee next time (or at least knock to see if anyone's home).

-- Kris

Offline mattoleriver

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 05:59:39 am »
Quote from: Kris^
But across the street nearest our house is a rather large church parking lot, with has a congregation from throughout the area. And there have been some Sunday mornings I've been coming and going from workshop to hive and back in my suit and/or veil and have been very visible to several hundreds. That's the direction my suspicions lie.

Perhaps the minister would know if anyone in the congregation has an interest in bees.  The suspense would be driving me crazy!

Quote from: Mark
i know kris is smarter than to put out signs and invite who knows what onto her property. bad idea!
besides, "the watching" is done on this forum.

Hmmmm, I wonder what else Mark (also in Williamstown!) may know about this?  I think it is probably a nice person helping out a fellow beekeeper.

George

anything