Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
What is this?
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:06:06 am »
Upon inspecting I noticed blood red mucus-like stuff on the rear legs of some of the workers going about the hive.  Were not mites.  Like I said, stringy and wet... Anybody know what that is?  Have seen it in a few hives and a few yards.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:34 pm »
It sounds like propolis to me. Perhaps from pine sap?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:50:09 pm »
Sounds like a good answer.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 04:03:41 pm »
I think JP hit the nail on the head.

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:56:51 am »
Sounds good. First year keeper and just trying to remain observant. Thank you. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:02:17 am »
Are you noticing any extra propolis build up between your top cover and first hive body? How many hives are you running right now?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 12:24:02 am »
Not excessive buildup.  Been paying more attention because I combined a laying worker hive with a split from June.  Had a laying worker hive when my Italians didnt take a Russian queen and went crazy on me.  Have 3 Russian hives in one yard and 3 Italians in another.  Work them all with my father in law.  Not sure which bees I like better.  Replaced my GA raised queens.  Those broads had horns! 

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:48 am »
Propolis use will increase the closer we get to cold weather.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:33:13 am »
Propolis use will increase the closer we get to cold weather.

David McLeod..........

Cold weather in Georgia. You need to move to New England.

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:38:12 am »
It's all relative but even my southern belles don't like a chill. They can really gum up the works by thanksgiving.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:42:03 am »
Gum it up or don't gum it up.  I just want them to get nicer.  Been a little over a month since I requeened.  Soon.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 06:24:42 am »
Gum it up or don't gum it up.  I just want them to get nicer.  Been a little over a month since I requeened.  Soon.

Are you wearing leather gloves when you are working in the hives? Are you using a brush to remove bees? Both of these things make for some very angry bees. If you have to wear gloves, use the blue rubber gloves.
My daughter helped me remove honey and do splits this week. I don't wear any protection but I advised she use at least a vale because I have 1 hive that I usually get at least 1 bee that will come out and get me when I get near it. She declined. She even said she wanted to get stung to see how bad it really was. She has worked with me at least 3 times and never been stung.
When I first started beekeeping I used full protection and my bees were very aggressive. I usually got stung after I was done and took the suit off. I try not to hurt any bees and it helps to keep them calm.
This is not for everyone but it works for me. Also, here in FL the heat and humidity makes the suits unbearable.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 09:10:33 am »
i usually use a viel but the gloves smashes too many bees for me...lately i have just gone at it barehanded...i can feel the bees close to my hands and less likely for me to crush them

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 09:15:06 am »
Are you wearing leather gloves when you are working in the hives? Are you using a brush to remove bees? Both of these things make for some very angry bees.
Why does leather make them angry?  Because you cant feel them?  Can't feel them with the blue rubber gloves either? 
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:38 am »
i just find taking your time with bare hands youre less likely to injure the bees.  even mashing a leg will make them go on the offense and with gloves u really dont feel a thing... so i go slow and take great pains to not offend them

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »
For years I used leather gloves and I never noticed that it angered my bees.  It wasn't until I started taking pics while working the hives that I ditched the gloves, 'cause I didn't want to gunk up the camera.  But I've not noticed much of a difference with or without gloves in terms of pissy-ness.

I generally suit up and wear gloves if I know I'm really going to get into a hive, like when I'm making splits, or if I'm scraping off bunches of drone comb from the bottoms of frames.  Sometimes I like to be able to concentrate on what I'm doing, and not on some angry bees looking for a bare patch of skin.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 06:24:31 am »
Why does leather make them angry?  Because you cant feel them?  Can't feel them with the blue rubber gloves either?

You can feel with the blue nitrile gloves! Ever hear of trojan?  Your dexterity is nearly as good as bare handed.  I only wear my leather gloves when needed and almost alway wear the blue gloves as they are partially sting resistant and your fingers dont get all gummed up.  You are able to feel bees before you crush them and are able to pull and handle frames with much better accuracy.  When a colony insists on being stingy and I have to get something done I grab the leather. 

I hate to tell anyone who thinks then dont need a veil that their day will come!  If you let a minor work bees without a veil thats serious neglect in my opinion.  One slip of hand and a frame or box falls and your ticket might get punched.  Id hate to see a kid get lit up.  I have enough hives to know that even on a good day there often is a pissy bunch that is just waiting to be tested.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 06:57:43 pm »
I agree that you can feel much better bare handed and I prefer that.  But my reaction to a sting is pretty severe and until I get some desensization shots it is not smart for me to take the stings.  Just one thru the glove without the stinger getting in gets quite ugly and if the stinger gets in, well I would rather not go through the itch, thanks. 

The girls have stung me through the leather (goatskin) gloves, which give me better feel than the blue nitrile gloves do and my hands don't get all sweaty either.  But as stated above when you must remove burr comb or one little hunk of this or that, some just come boiling out looking to sting and there is no stopping those gals.  Kamakazies they are.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 11:47:56 pm »
I will work the top boxes gloveless, often put goatskin gloves to really get into them.  Regardless, they will bounce of your veil as soon as you open the top.  One day I got 5 stings to one hand and 6 to the other. That's a bit much for me in one sitting. 
These happen to be only in my yard. I can work others' hives with them and not nearly the reaction from their bees.