Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hands off our Vegemite  (Read 79825 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Hands off our Vegemite
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2009, 06:26:56 am »
Do I have to eat it on white bread though, cause I stopped buying white bread, got a favorite multi grain bread I buy, will that work?

I had it on soy and linseed toast yesterday, JP.

Salty, soy sauce, brew on a cracker, don't sound too appetizing, have to say.

I neglected to mention to Nettie that vegemite is also an antidote for pathologically low sodium.

Lone

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2009, 05:50:09 pm »
I neglected to mention to Nettie that vegemite is also an antidote for pathologically low sodium.

Lone

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

Ha HA HA! We're in AMERICA!!! I don't think that that condition has happened for 60 years over here!!!  Next I suppose you're going to tell us that it also help increase weight for the pathologically underwieght!!  :-D
Rick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2009, 07:10:37 pm »
OK guys. I was without internet service since Monday due to no electricity. We had a snow storm to end all snow storms and we never get that sort of weather here.  Anyway have been sitting in the dark at night with just candles since Monday. I finally got dug out of my driveway and drove down the hill to the nearest Starbuck's to get onto the internet. They charged me 4.00 for 2 hours of internet service. So now I am sitting here and catching up on the internet.

I did try the vegemite again this week and all I can say is, I can't understand this stuff. It really tastes bad to me. Sorry guys but I love you all anyway even though you eat this stuff, must be something you have to start eating as a baby or something??

So JP trust me, you would not like this at all. You know that John isn't in his right mind and he probably doesn't even know what he is eating at the moment. Do not go there at all.

Sorry guys but very strange food indeed.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »
OK guys. I was without internet service since Monday due to no electricity. We had a snow storm to end all snow storms and we never get that sort of weather here.  Anyway have been sitting in the dark at night with just candles since Monday. I finally got dug out of my driveway and drove down the hill to the nearest Starbuck's to get onto the internet. They charged me 4.00 for 2 hours of internet service. So now I am sitting here and catching up on the internet.

I did try the vegemite again this week and all I can say is, I can't understand this stuff. It really tastes bad to me. Sorry guys but I love you all anyway even though you eat this stuff, must be something you have to start eating as a baby or something??

So JP trust me, you would not like this at all. You know that John isn't in his right mind and he probably doesn't even know what he is eating at the moment. Do not go there at all.

Sorry guys but very strange food indeed.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2009, 08:05:12 pm »
You'd never make a dinki Aussie, Nette :roll:

Slicko

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2009, 08:08:18 pm »
Annette, thanks for the update. The thing is, there are things I like that my wife hates, she is my perfect reverse barometer (Ok everyone, tell me where that line came from?) Anyway, even if I try it and don't like it, it can't be all that bad, nothing like possum or chitterlings, so, I guess I will be trying it. Now where do I get some again?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »
hey JP!
 www.vegemite.com.au

that outta get you started!
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2009, 02:15:50 am »
You'd never make a dinki Aussie, Nette :roll:

Slicko

OH come on, there must be some other tests I can pass!!!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2009, 07:05:01 am »
Yes Nette if you can tell us what Don Bradman was famous for ... you are in :-D

Slicko

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2009, 09:23:43 am »
Ha HA HA! We're in AMERICA!!! I don't think that that condition has happened for 60 years over here!!!  Next I suppose you're going to tell us that it also help increase weight for the pathologically underwieght

That's the reason we advise putting lots of butter under the vegemite, Sca-bees.  It can also help with having low cholesterol.

Now, I think it is partly a blokey thing to eat salty foods.  That would be why Barra took to it like a duck to slugs, and sheilas like me and Nettie, well, we have to be reared on the stuff, preferably starting before we are weaned.   

That is why Tim Tams were invented.  For sheilas.  (who get choccy cravings, rather than salty cravings)

Here is another place to buy genuine aussie things over yonder.  http://about-australia-shop.com/product_info.php/products_id/387
If you haven't had a tim tam slam, you are missing out on an experience not to be missed.  I can just see Nettie getting on her brolly and whizzing down to procure her very first Tim Tam.  But you can't have just one.  You'll have to get a crate, Nettie.

Lone

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
Not sure what you said, Lone, but I do enjoy it when my folks get back from Tazzy (or tassy?) with a box of giant cadbury bars from the "bakery" near there.
Rick

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2009, 09:42:41 am »
Sca-bees!  Looks like you'll have to spend quality time in the educational section of Down Under Beekeeping*

* Refer to Cindi's learning Strine

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2009, 02:06:15 pm »
Yes Nette if you can tell us what Don Bradman was famous for ... you are in :-D

Slicko
Sir Donald Bradman is an Australian sporting legend.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2009, 02:07:29 pm »
So Lone, you don't like vegemite?? The Tim Tams sound great but will have to wait for someone to send them to me before I ever try them. Unless they open up an Australian Grocery store around here.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2009, 02:48:08 pm »
Sca-bees!  Looks like you'll have to spend quality time in the educational section of Down Under Beekeeping*

* Refer to Cindi's learning Strine

Well, I was mostly referring to my lack of knowledge as far as what a "Tim-tam" is, but I did make the chocolate connection. ;)
<edit> Wait a minute...I just found out that a "Tim Tam" is just a "Kit Kat"!!!  Boy, that's original..somebody ripped off our naming convention and just changed 2 letters!!!
<edit2> Doh! just found out that Kit Kat was actually originally british!  Typical arrogant american assumption to think that it was ours!! ;)

My nephew and nieces eat plenty of vegemite...yes Annette, it is something you have to break your teeth on!  My sister don't like it but she feeds it to her kids for my brother-in-law's sake :)
Rick

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »
Look, I have to break in here. I don't think that kit kats and tim tams are very much alike. Yes, they are both a biscuit covered in chocolate, but the taste is very different.

The Tim Tam has a much more potent chocolate hit to it than the Kit Kat does. From the taste, the Kit Kat has almost no cocoa to the mixture. You have to try the Tim Tam.

Now to really throw the salt amongst the pidgeons...Salt hit? Anchovies on the capricossa. Yum!

Phil

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2009, 04:46:26 pm »
Gosh you guys from the States are Caks  :-D :-D You dont know what Vegemite is?? I dont believe it. Go on.. its the health food of a nation

I thought it was just something in the song by "Men at Work - Land Down Under". Never seen the stuff.... then again, I love toast with cheese and horseradish sauce so what do I know!  :-D

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2009, 05:27:16 pm »
Now you have to learn all the words Annette  :-

True Blue - John Williamson
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2009, 08:42:31 pm »
Is this the national anthem :-D :-D :-D :-D I am feeling the pull towards Australia now - wanno go!!!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2009, 12:16:13 am »
Nettie, I love vegemite, but I was brought up on it.  Or maybe I have the gene.  When your mother packs your lunchbox with either vegemite sangers or stale peanut butter sangers for years when at school, you also don't have a choice.
I would love to post you a box of tim tams, but it's over 40 C here (106 F) and they wouldn't even make it as far as the postoffice without turning to mush.  You would be better off trying one of those aussie goods suppliers, such as About Australia, or  http://www.aussieproducts.com/timtam.asp  or  http://www.aussiefoodshop.com/australian_food_biscuits.html    or   http://www.greataussiefood.com.au/listProduct/Food/Biscuits+-+Sweet//25 

Scabees, I was surprised to see that tim tams are named after an american horse, and yet you cannot even buy them there.

Phil, what is capricossa? Whatever it is, you could always spread vegemite on the anchovies.

Yinnar, it's good that you found the original version of True Blue.  John Williamson redid it, leaving vegemite out of it, probably in view of who owns kraft.  I don't know why there are pictures of coloured parrots when he's singing about cockatoos though.  You will have to find Nettie a pet kangaroo to take home with her.

Lone

anything