Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NUCS  (Read 2939 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
NUCS
« on: June 09, 2007, 06:09:43 pm »
I like to talk about NUCS. There are wooden, cardboard or styrofoam types. Deeps and medium sized from 2 to 5 frame capacities., some have gadgets, some are just plain old boxes. What works for you  :?

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
Re: NUCS
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:29:47 pm »
My wife graduated from Deptford High in 81.

She lived on Cooper Street. She wants to know if she might know you.

She also said she knows for a fact that there are NO bees in Deptford Twp.

As far as Nucs go, anything I have lieing around will do. I save everything, just in case.
I picked up a corrugated cardboard one the other day courtesy of the State of Delaware (per my other thread, pulled some bees out of a Fox Squirrel Box).

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:55:36 pm »

As far as Nucs go, anything I have lieing around will do. I save everything, just in case.
I picked up a corrugated cardboard one the other day courtesy of the State of Delaware (per my other thread, pulled some bees out of a Fox Squirrel Box).

Graduated 1978  :-D  It's possible. I doubt if there is anyone keeping bees in Deptford, the zoning dept. advises against beekeeping due to liabilities, that's why mine are on a farm in Mickleton if you are familair with the area.

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:03:45 pm »

Graduated 1978  :-D  It's possible. I doubt if there is anyone keeping bees in Deptford, the zoning dept. advises against beekeeping due to liabilities, that's why mine are on a farm in Mickleton if you are familair with the area.

Donna Swindell

There's a chance you knew her, you South Jersey peeps partied hard back then.

Most of my friends were in Mullica Hill.

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 08:19:37 pm »
I just built on last wednesday, used the directions on beesource for the configuments but after building it and realizing that I need a bigger hole drill after I installed the bees (frames were blocking the hole)  :'( I had to drill a bigger hole lucky me the girls didnt mind.  So then after all thats said and done i realize they need some sugar water so i tried to make a makeshift feeder but no such luck the bees are drowning in it.  The mesh on a rubbermaid container, so I am going to have to order a nuc feeder. :mrgreen:

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:36:20 pm »
BeeHopper.............Happy to see another Fred Dalton Thompson 2008 supporter!!!!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:04:28 pm »
I bought a five frame nuc from dadant and used the pieces as patterns to make more. I like the five framers because they give the bees a little more room to get started and when you move them to a hive body it doesn't take very long for them to draw it out. I use deep nucs because  I use deeps for brood chambers, but thats just personal preference. After I was done with the patterns I put the dadant nuc together, put a clear finish, handle, hinges and latches on it and use it for my tool box. I tried one of the nucs with a moveable disk entrance but I never really used anything but open. Nucs are pretty easy to make so if you really want to know whats best then make up one of each type your interested in and use them until you develop a preference for one or the other.

Good luck
Greg

Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 11:20:07 pm »
I like this one here.
http://www.beesource.com/plans/doublehive.htm
Can be used as two 3-frame queen rearing nucs or a 6-frame nuc.  I found the inner-top pieces to be a pain though as the squish any bees on the tops of the frames.  So I no longer use them, but cut two pieces of coroplast (plastic cardboard) to sit on top of the box.  This gives a bee space on top of the frames so no more squishing bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 11:30:11 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything