Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee drumming  (Read 3730 times)

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Bee drumming
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:53:05 am »
anyone familiar with bee drumming

i'm pretty sure that it is what they used to do to get the bees to move up in a tree.  for example if you have an established hive in a tree, ->(never happens right) and you want the bees.  what you would first do would be cut the chunk of the tree which contains the hive.  then you take it home and wait until your reddy to transfer the bees to your hive.  At which point you drill a hole in the top of the chunk and place a super on top of the hole.  then you start to hammer around the base of the tree chunk below the hive.  as you hammer you walk around the chunk and slowly really slowly start to move your way up the the chunk until you eventually reach the top of the chunk.  by this time the hive would move you into the super to get away from the vibrations caused by the hammer.  
a guy that i know that used to catch alot of swarms each year and remove established bees said that he used this and it worked but the trick is to go really slow.  tell you the truth i would just split the tree chunk but i'm a lot younger (20) and can do that kind of crazy thing and not pay for it the next day.  later

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Bee drumming
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:20:04 am »
I know some people on here were talking about this very topic not too long ago. Do a search on it here and see what you can find.

Beth

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee drumming
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 09:55:59 pm »
It's easy enough.  In a hive you just do a tap tap tap on the side with a pocketknife or a hive tool.  Not hard.  Just rythmic and steady.  The bees move up.  In a tree it may take more to resonate but you can listen and tell if the tree is resonating.  You may have to find a thin spot (where the hollow gets closer to the bark) to get any resonance if you want to move them up in a tree.

You can speed the process with some smoke.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Bee drumming
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 01:25:20 am »
In a lang. hive drumming has worked for me too. But in a tree or section of log,drumming as far as I am concerned is a waste of time. Also tried this in buildings. All it did was agitate the bees and myself. I have read in older books that drumming on pots and pans would stop a swarm in flight and make it land quickly. This I have yet to try. Maybe the bees associate the methodical drumming on the hive with a predator(such as a skunk) trying to enter.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
Re: Bee drumming
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:46:40 pm »
I had a friend of mine that told me he used "bee go" to drive the bees out. What he did was locate the entrance and create a one way escape over the entrance with tubing to a nuc with brood frames. He would then drill a hole into the tree below the entrance large enough to get a length of tubing into it. (Not sure how large). He would then place bee go into the tub and use a blow dryer to force the bee go into the tree. He said that they would exit the tree like it was on fire.

Scott
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:43:43 pm »
Good post Scott.  There's a solution to every problem.  You just have to find the person with the answer, which can be the hard part.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jarhead

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 09:58:09 pm »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 10:56:04 am »
There are some very interesting posts on this drumming of the bees.  It may come into use one day down the road.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything