Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees still going strong with pollen  (Read 1324 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Bees still going strong with pollen
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:26:18 pm »
Hello

I was out in my yard this evening and went to see how my girls was doing and to my surprise they were coming in with large amounts of pollen. Now i have had freezing weather and heavy frost but where are they getting this from then today i could smell a sweet odor in the air coming from the woods and i am wondering if some wild flowers are in full bloom the smell was strong and you could smell it all over my yard. If they are getting pollen could they be rearing young brood because they are not going thru what they have stored but could they be just gathering it for the spring because i see some maples that have bloomed also and they normally don't bloom till march.

Tom

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bees still going strong with pollen
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:31:52 am »
Wow, nice.  I am curious too about what tree they are obviously getting the pollen from.  It is incredibly surprising how the fragrance comes from so many different trees when they are blooming.

The maples are blooming now?  Usually in March.  That is strange isn't it? I think the climate of the entire world is changing slowly, surely.  I have seen things bloom out of season too, so many that I don't want to list, but ya, it may be good, it may be bad.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service