Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 9 frames versus 10 frames per box?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline enchplant

• House Bee
9 frames versus 10 frames per box?
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:44:29 am »
Someone suggested that once you have frames that have been drawn out fully, it
is a good idea to switch to 9 frames per box spacing instead of 10 frame per
box.
The idea is to reduce the feeling of congestion and hence cut down on swarming
tendency.
I suppose if you did 9 frame spacing when you just had foundation on the frames
you would end up with all sorts of burr comb and bridge comb.
Has anyone had any experience with this?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: 9 frames versus 10 frames per box?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:53:57 am »
9 frames for honey supers will let the bees draw the comb deeper which makes uncapping a little easier. I wouldn't recommend 9 frames in the brood boxes...they'd make a mess of the extra space.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:50:11 pm »
I'd heard that as well but only do it in honey supers.  I'll even go 8 if I think I can get away with it (REALLY heavy flow and a good strong hive).  They will draw it out such that I'm still in awe of how they ever get around.

The idea behind doing it in the hive is it will be easier to manipulate the frames becuase they aren't so tight.  I can see that short term, but wouldn't they eventually fill the added space with comb until the beespace is reached?  The problem that was trying to be avoided would start all over again wouldn't it?

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline donm

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:10:26 pm »
I've never heard this in a brood box either.  As with the others, I put 9 frames in my supers once they have been drawn out.

Offline enchplant

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:56:28 pm »
Thanks folks, This is really helpful!

anything