Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundation has a curve. Is it a problem?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline wisnewbee

• New Bee
Foundation has a curve. Is it a problem?
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »
I'm installing foundation into my deep frames today. I'm using wired foundation with hooks on a frame with a wedge board. All my deep frames have 4 horizontal wires installed. The horizontal wires are tight. When I lay the foundation in the frame, there is about a 1/4" gap between the horizontal wire and the foundation. There is a bow to the foundation, like the vertical wires are bowed. I will be using an electric embedding tool to embed the horizontal wires into the foundation. How do I get rid of the bow in the foundation? I'm afraid if I try and bend it the foundation will shatter. Should I just embed the wires and hope for the best? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Bill

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Foundation has a curve. Is it a problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41:27 pm »
I'm installing foundation into my deep frames today. I'm using wired foundation with hooks on a frame with a wedge board. All my deep frames have 4 horizontal wires installed. The horizontal wires are tight. When I lay the foundation in the frame, there is about a 1/4" gap between the horizontal wire and the foundation. There is a bow to the foundation, like the vertical wires are bowed. I will be using an electric embedding tool to embed the horizontal wires into the foundation. How do I get rid of the bow in the foundation? I'm afraid if I try and bend it the foundation will shatter. Should I just embed the wires and hope for the best? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Bill

Is it sill below 0 in Wisconsin ???  :lau: :lau:

If you the get the temp of foundation to about 80 to 90 it will bend be do it easy it will be OK.

Are you use a form board ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:51:42 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline wisnewbee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »
 :'( :'( Sure laugh  :'( :'( It's supposed to snow again tonight. At least I got to see the sun a couple weeks ago. Oh sure it was only for a couple minutes, but I did see it. I promise! The doctor said the side effects of my meds don't give you those kinds of visions. :-D  :deadhorse: LOL It is supposed to snow.

Yes I have a foundation jig. I was looking at it today and I need to adjust it. It's a little warped. Just like me. :devilbanana: When the frame is sitting in the jig, the position of the top and bottom boards is too high. The foundation doesn't come into contact with the cross wires. Just a couple trips across the router will fix that. :-D

Thanks for the information on warming the foundation up to 90 degrees. Just let me take off my mittens to start a fire to warm it up. LOL. Just kidding. Great information to know. Thanks.

I feel so much better now. I think my meds are kicking in. :evil:

Hope this gets you to laugh.

Bill

Offline wisnewbee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:16:48 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Results are in.

I decided to just make a new foundation board/jig. I made it out of 2 pieces of 1x12 red oak. I glued and screwed (laminated) the 2 pieces together with the natural growth rings in opposite directions to help reduce any tendency to warp. I then used the router table to make the new groves for the upper and lower bars. It's heavy, it's smooth, it's great! I then made a new electric embedding tool. I moved the switch location for ease of use. I'm using the 12VDC 7ah battery from my ice fishing, fish locator to power it. 2 taps of the switch is all that is required to fully embed the cross wire. This setup works great. NO CURVE after embedding the wires. :cheer:

Thanks to all for taking the time to help. Newbies like me appreciate it.

Bill

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:55:52 pm »
Hey Bill, I'm right there with ya.  Woke up yesterday morning to a Winter wonderland.  I swear we are about a month behind this year.  We have to keep repeating "Spring will come. Spring will come." :-D

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

anything