Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Massive hive in house  (Read 7862 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Massive hive in house
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:20:22 pm »
Just checked out a potential removal ten minutes from home, right across from a Lowe's. Entrance is near top of chimney under a capstone where the chimney narrows from 4 feet to 2 feet wide. No bees in the flu. I figured on removing the capstone and if necessary, some bricks to remove the hive. I quoted the tenant $400. THEN I checked more thoroughly inside the house. Bees are coming into the living room between the floor and wooden fireplace mantle. I could easily hear a mass of bees humming and buzzing in several locations of the wall next to and above the fireplace, and in the mantle itself! The floor is approximately 18 feet down from the entrance the bees are using. It appears that the colony found a gap in the brick and extended the nest down inside the wall. I have a feeling this is like one of those hives you see on the news, with a couple hundred pounds of honey in the wall! The homeowner rents out the house, and isn't too pleased about paying to remove it. The tenant told me she will move out if he doesn't!! And, she said if he just sprays them, she is out of there! I withdrew the quote and told her I need to "tweak" the price a bit before she gives it to her landlord!
I may need some help if I get this job! :-D

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: Massive hive in house
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:49:56 pm »
This sounds like a major removal! Lots of time and expense involved with this one I suspect.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »
know when to hold em, know when to fold em..  :-D

bid it like 2 hives.. think of the equipment (frames, deeps) you will have in play.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:06 pm »
Don't expect to get the bees out from only one area. I'm betting there are 2 to 4 hives in there. There's no way I would tackle that one without an open end price. You may be there for days.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »
Talked to the homeowner this afternoon. He seems resigned to the fact that the hive needs to be removed and it is going to be expensive. I told him the living room walls shouldn't be too bad :roll:, but the chimney has us both concerned. The bees are in the wide portion of the chimney that doesn't have a flue. I don't know if they have comb going all the way down, or if they are just using it as a transportation route to the wall. I don't know yet how much open space is inside that part of a chimney. I guess I will find out when I remove the topcap. If there is comb all the way down, does anyone have any removal ideas without tearing apart the whole chimney? The living room can be handled by opening the wall as needed by the fireplace, in the closet, and by removing the wooden ornamental mantel. I hope they aren't in the ceiling, as well! :shock:

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:42:21 am »
Have you also checked int he attic space above the fireplace?
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:16:46 am »
Could you detail the construction a little better? I would like to help but not knowing whether the fireplace is masonry w/terra cotta flue or modern insert firebox with metal flue pipe or whether the structure is balloon or plate construction I cannot get a grip on how a single colony can span 18' of wall.
It is absolutely possible as my largest removal extended 16' into a structure between two ceiling joists. Pics would be a great help.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:40:13 am »
Good luck with this one. My first removal was in a 30X30" brick column, 8 foot tall. We started by cutting the mortar between the bricks to save the bricks for repair. We cut 6 layers and then started removing them. Be sure to wash the cement dust as you go especially before you start vacuuming. I lost several pounds of bees in the first vac box due the cement dust. I was afraid the hive went all the way down the column. It turned out the brick layers were paid by the brick and filled in the column with bricks. That was good for the home owner, plenty of new bricks to repair the column.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:41 am »
The tenant is out of town for a few days. I will post some pictures when she gets back. Either Monday or Tuesday.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 05:31:09 pm »
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1273/chimneycolony003.jpg  http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6218/chimneycolony002.jpg
In the first pic, the bees are in the living room wall above and to the right(as you are looking at this pic) of the fireplace, and also in the short wall coming out to the right of the chimney. Not sure if they are also in the upstairs wall. In the second pic, the colony entrance is under the cap on the shorter, right side of the chimney.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 12:37:42 am »
If you do it and need help, my son may be interested.  He's 19 and goes to college at Case and has done a removal out of a house with me before.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
    • Swarm List - West Coast Beekeepers
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 03:52:42 am »
Is it possible to do a trapout?
Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westcoastbeekeepers

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 07:52:44 am »
No. She wants them gone ASAP. Plus, with a colony this big and spread out, their pollen supply would outlast the time available for a trapout. And then there is the amout of honey left in the walls. The interior removal will be a big job, but do-able. It is the chimney that has me concerned.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:30 am »
I say you got two hives, one in the wall and one in the chimney.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 08:45:57 pm »
I was wondering about that myself. Possibly two or three colonies. However, I only saw bees using the one entrance under the chimney cap. Will multiple colonies use the same entrance?

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:13 pm »
I just got done with one that was possibly two colonies (it wasn't) and asked the same question.  Iddee said bees will use the same entrance and then go their separate ways inside the walls.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »
Well, the tenant called me today. She said her landlord decided that he is going to have an exterminator treat the colonies with Sevin dust!  After all the info I gave him, and even emailed JP's post-spray video, and the tenant threatening to move out, he still goes this route. I told her to tell him that if he calls me after they are poisoned, that the price is doubled, IF I even come out! As spread out and as large as this colony (colonies) is (are), I feel there is no way that his way is going to work. And then there is still the issue of all the mess left in the walls. I can't help but be totally angry off about this!! :-x

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 01:51:21 pm »
Had a similiar call the other day. I was going to remove a swarm for free, however was called back with them telling me they had spray bombed the bees. When the bees they didnt kill come back out of the wall, they can call someone else cuz I'm not going to touch it.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »
Talked to the tenant yesterday. The "exterminator" didn't show up. She talked to her landlord and he is postponing it until he "puts together a plan", whatever that means. Maybe he'll have a change of heart and let me remove them after all.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:41 am »
I thought exterminators were not supposed to poison honey bees? 
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:51 am »
Ohio doesn't have a law against it. I think some states do. The legitimate exterminators I have talked to all told me they don't like honey bee calls. If they are a hazard to the residents, they will kill them, but they try to leave them alone if they aren't a hazard. They also don't want to do the cleanup afterwards!

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
    • Swarm List - West Coast Beekeepers
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:52 am »
I actually had a colony removal call where the homeowner had sprayed the bees prior to me coming out. It was a simple enough removal but reminded me of the video JP posted. Homeowners were so upset about killing the bees that they insisted I take their money even though my only interest was to save what was left of the colony.
Amazingly, it has been a few weeks and the colony has strengthened and the queen cell I salvaged from the comb hatched and their numbers are on the rise. I will allow them to build up their comb before i dispose of the old comb. Its good to see when my efforts aren't in vain.

Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westcoastbeekeepers

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »
Saw a van with a logo on the side there a few weeks ago, but couldn't read it. Haven't heard from the tenant or owner for quite some time, so I am sure it was the exterminator.

anything