• Super Bee
M Bush
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:21 pm »
Could you show some long hives with honey supers on? :)doak

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
Re: M Bush
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:47:52 pm »
I use a top bar hive designed by Gunther Hauk.  The length of the box is that of two langstroth boxes and the width is that of one box--you end up with two standard inner covers over the length.  When a honey super is need, one removes one inner cover and places the super on that space. This design allows the bees to build beautiful foundation and frame-less comb in the lower box and gives the convenience of the "standard" langstroth if you need to expand beyond the space of the top bar.
The two worlds can co-exist!
We love the girls...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:01:53 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:31:42 am »
Hi Mike,

I was looking at your above post and was wondering when it was updated and if you still use the long hives?  I know the advantages but how do you compare them to a regular stacked double brood with honey suppers above?  Are there any advantages to the regular stacked hives that you prefer over the long hives?  Is honey production any different?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:11:16 pm »
Boy that sure didn't sound right!  Sorry Mike B.  On my previous post I knew that you use the long hives but I didn't proof read my post prior to sending.  Allow me to refrase the question. 

Miche Bush quote---"I have, currently in use, two 12 frame deeps hives, one 22 frame deep hive, and five 33 frame medium hives. I hope to make several more every year."

Since you have started to use the long hives and plan to buid others every year, are you still using the regular stacked hives and are the "long hives" more or less productive?  Would it be worth changing over to all "long" hives?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:40:35 pm »
I've been busy rearing queens and haven't had the time to build more long hives.  I currently have two in use.  I like them for backyard use as they require a bit more frequent tweaking to keep them exapnding the brood nest, not swarming and harvesting more often.  For my out yards I definitely prefer my eight frame medium Langstroth boxes as I can just stack on the supers at the start of the flow and pull them off in the fall.

The big advantage to the long hives is not having to lift as much.  The big advantage to the vertical hives is not having to intervene and harvest as often.

If you manage a long hive well I think production is probably similar.  But if you are sloppy, (don't keep up with harvesting etc.) then the Langstroth hives will outproduce the long hives by a lot.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:35:20 pm »
Thanks Mike...That's what I was thinking.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:08:38 pm »
 " But if you are sloppy, (don't keep up with harvesting etc.) then the Langstroth hives will outproduce the long hives by a lot."

You may have answered a question I was going to ask:  I have to leave for a month or more....is it OK to put 2 medium supers on at the same time. There should be Cabbage Palm and others blooming when I leave. It is a March package...now has 1 deep and 2 mediums. I put the second medium on last week. I had to be away for a week and I thought the Tallow were blooming. If that second one has been partially drawn...I want to put 2 mediums on before I go. Will I be creating a problem. They are foundationless. If you don't think 2 would be enough...I do have 1 shallow super I could add also.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:54:01 pm »
> I have to leave for a month or more....is it OK to put 2 medium supers on at the same time.

It's ok with a strong booming hive to put four or five supers on at the same time.

> There should be Cabbage Palm and others blooming when I leave. It is a March package...now has 1 deep and 2 mediums.

I try not to add more than double the space they are already occupying.  By that I mean they are covering it or using it, not just that it's on the colony.

> I put the second medium on last week. I had to be away for a week and I thought the Tallow were blooming. If that second one has been partially drawn...I want to put 2 mediums on before I go. Will I be creating a problem.

If it's a strong hive, no.

>They are foundationless. If you don't think 2 would be enough...I do have 1 shallow super I could add also.

I have no way of knowing what is enough.  A strong hive in a strong flow can put away a lot of honey...
-------------------

anything