Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Glad not to have split hive  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
Glad not to have split hive
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:05:15 pm »
Well, I was going to split the hive in the back yard about
June 15th, thinking 'this dry weather can't go on much longer'.

(Western IL about 90 miles N of St. Louis)

WRONG !

This is, according to every old farmer I've talked to, '1954 all over again'; and some are saying '1936'.

Dad always referred to 54 as 'the year the corn burned up', it was 114 in St. Louis on July 14, 1954.

Corn here is done, toasted, finished, rung down the curtain and joined the Choir Celestial, 70-80 bushels per acre will be 'great' if they get that much on average.

How's things elsewhere ?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Glad not to have split hive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:28:31 am »
It’s been feeling like Memphis/St Louis here in Michigan this summer too.  Ridiculously hot and very little rain.  Corn isn’t cooked here yet, but we desperately need an inch or 2 of rain.  We have heavy clay soil in my area so the plants can go a bit longer without rain.  But that “bit longer” is about done.  Wonder how high the Wall Streeters will drive corn up to?  At least those $$ end up in American farmer pockets; not all bad.

I got stung on the wrist the other night and my whole forearm is swollen up now.  Much more swelling than normal.  I wonder if the heat is also having some effect on the venom concentrations in the bees?

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
i got stung on the same place too...had the same result on back of hand near thumb...most swelling i have ever experienced...lol youd a thought i broke a bone

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:15:03 pm »
Corn and beans are burning up here.

The bee stings are kinda 'hot' this year??????

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:23:35 pm »
Everything is hot this year.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:41:12 pm »
Somehow my bees are still expanding this summer; even in their insulated foam hives.  Had a couple of big swarms the last few days due to my lack of attention; probably 4lbs or better.  Figured I better bite the bullet and do a little splitting today while it’s still cool (if you call 93F cool).  Suppose to be near 100F tomorrow.  Geeezzz, we don’t live in Michigan to put up with this kind of heat  :( 

To add insult to injury, I don’t have a ventilated bee suit, so it feels like 150F out working the bees  :(

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:03 pm »
103 degrees today with the heat index. I work my hives with wearing a white "t" shirt, veil, gaunlet gloves and jeans. I'm alway picking up a couple of stings above the gloves on my arms but it beats sweating 10lbs out in an hour wearing a full moon suit. Man It's Just Hot Out !!!

Offline NC Queen Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »
Our winter was very mild..Then it felt like spring until---- June then we had the highest temps in decades. :devilbanana: ..Weeks of 105-107--even nights were 85*-90* w/98* humidity! No rain for weeks so everything started to fry!! BUT then the thunderstorms came and dropped enough rain to save everything....at least for the next few weeks. I also have clay.

Robbed my bees early--everything was capped and the supers were full.. NO stings..We left two supers on each hive hoping to get them thru the drought and overwinter them... Now, I am waiting for cooler temps so I can treat for mites... Haven't treated in 3 yrs and have a few too for comfort...

anything