Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: entrance reducers....  (Read 1674 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
entrance reducers....
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:19:09 pm »
I realize in my part of the country it's not time to reduce to entrance since the bees are hard at work foraging for the winter ahead.  

When is the time to reduce the entrance....is it a temp. issue or is it when the last flow is over for the year..?  Another question:  Is it essential to reduce the entrance at all..?  Thanks.

Steve in SC

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
entrance reducers....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:32:53 pm »
I would atleast put on a mouse guard to keep unwanted critters out when it starts to cool down to keep them from using your hive as a warm place to live in the winter.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
entrance reducers....
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:31:16 am »
Putting in entrance reducers is a matter of personal choice, geared towards when the bees begin slowing down as the days get colder.  If your using SBB you'll note that it is not neccessary to use entrance reducers, especially if a slatted rack is used as a thermal insulation barrier.  Mouse guards on the other hand are a must.  They're already starting to move indoors from there outside summer burrows.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: entrance reducers....
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:00:17 am »
Quote from: SteveSC
I realize in my part of the country it's not time to reduce to entrance since the bees are hard at work foraging for the winter ahead.  

When is the time to reduce the entrance....is it a temp. issue or is it when the last flow is over for the year..?  Another question:  Is it essential to reduce the entrance at all..?  Thanks.

Steve in SC

because my hives are up off the ground (about 1'-2') I use entrance reducers as mouse guards, I put them on when the temp gets down in the 40's at night and 60's during the day (guest-a-mating), I have a couple on hives  now that I just moved from a nuc's to 10 framers just to help keep the temp up so they can build up for the winter and this fall flow....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything