Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NICOT & Small cell queens  (Read 1313 times)

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
NICOT & Small cell queens
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:30:15 pm »
I use the NICOT for queen production. I have also converted numerous hives to 4.9 small cell as part of my own little test to see if there's anything to the 4.9/varroa rumors. The verdict is still out with me.

Here's my question. Will new queens from 5.4 queen mothers have troubles when placed in 4.9 small cell hives/nucs/splits? Every swarm I've ever caught and placed straight into 4.9 foundation has superseded the queen within weeks. I also know that the cell size in the NICOT has sometimes been said to be a little large.

So, anyone have experience with this?

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: NICOT & Small cell queens
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:55:08 pm »
Neither of the swarms I caught this last summer superceded.  I think we are both just seeing anecdotal incidents.  I have put ordered queens on comb from regressed bees drawing under 5mm and the supercedure rate was no higher than those I put on 5.4mm.   I recall reading that since the queens abdomen is a telescoping apendage that the smaller size cell really poses no problem.  If it is, I just haven't seen it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:28 am »
Most swarms replace the queen shortly after they settle into a new hive. It is not something new. L.L Langstroth  talks about it in "Langstroth on the hive and the honey bee". It was written in @ 1958.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:34:04 pm »
Langstroth was writing about that same subject in the 1850's!  What a long and productive writing career!!  :<}

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:16:16 pm »
I've only had one queen that was so fat she couldn't lay in 4.9mm cells, and they quickly superseded her.  As mentioned above, swarms often supersede soon after they get settled in when it's a primary swarm and they have the old queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything