Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Duck hunting opening soon  (Read 20559 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Duck hunting opening soon
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:29:53 pm »
Hello, Just wanted to let everyone know duck season is approaching soon. Although this year will not be the same, lost my hunting lab, I think Ill still have fun Its not the same hunting without a dog.  :(

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Duck hunting opening soon
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:58:34 am »
Sorry you lost your dog Shawn. I have been duck hunting a few times it is a lot of fun, but most people say it used to be a lot better. They say its expensive.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:47:55 am »
Shawn, sorry about the loss of your pooch, that is a sad day in the life.  Get another one, train it to duck hunt along your side, just like the old one did, it is good for the heart and soul.  Have a wonderful day, best of our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:10:59 pm »
Thanks. I dont know if I really want another dog. I am trying to get my yard in perfect condition so the bees will have plenty of room. Labs are well know for digging and it seems when I plant new plants he would dig them up or lay on them. I will still duck hunt but I will have to be careful where the ducks will land when I shoot them. I know dogs pets, are good for people but I am hoping the bees will take his spot.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:53:34 am »
Shawn, the bees will fill that void.  They will keep you busy, and yes, you will have a nice yard.  I have a pooch that digs in my gardens all the time, it annoys me terribly.  I have actually gone to the effort of allowing her to have a few cool spots in my gardens so she can dig and lay in the dirt.  These are her spots, she has two, perfect places, where she can watch dog people that may come on our property.  But, there is another spot that she loves to dig too to lay down in the deep hole she digs.  It drives me nuts cause this is where I like to have my red begonias planted.  She digs them up all the time  :-x :) :shock:.  I replant them, push the soil back in, sweep the sidewalk.  Happens about once a week.  I have gone to great lengths to put sticks, rocks, tomato cages, everything I can think of to deter her.  Nope, she still digs, I give her heck, nope, she still digs, even though she has her own gardens.  Oh well.  Maybe chicken wire next year, I have almost given up, but then it is almost time to pull out the tubers too!!!  Brother, dogs.  Maybe I should stick to bees  :roll:  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:08:40 am »
Shawn, I hope you get another dog, they are so terrific to have around, they become part of the family, and are always there for you, to lend a paw. They are love machines. Down here a lot of duck hunters hunt in Venice, the hunting there is incredible, people come from all over to hunt ducks in Venice. We know these two guys that trailer their boat all the way from Memphis. Have to be careful of the alligators though, people have been known have  lost dogs to them.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 11:06:46 pm »
Well today was the big day. Set out at 4:45 a.m. and got to the river and deployed all the decoys. We got 8 ducks and two ducks later that day. 8 does not sound like a lot but for this area that is alot of ducks for opening day and the temp was 90 degrees. I have pictures but I do not know ho to post them. Sorry.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 11:20:13 am »
Shawn, the bees will fill that void. 
I don't know about that........I do not want my bees meeting me at the truck when I come home and my bees don't like to have their ears rubbed.

Shawn, What kind of ducks are you hunting? My only duck hunting experience is with wood ducks in the swamp. Lots of fun!!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:26:04 am »
We have lots of different ducks around. Green wing teel, blue wing teel, mallards, wiegons, wood ducks, scaup, golden eye, red heads, a few pintails. When goose season comes we will have 10s of thousnads of snow geese around. Now that is fun to sneak up on about 4 to 5 thousand geese in a field  :lol:

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »
Well just like bow hunting coming up so is duck season here in Colorado, I actually thnik it is open where 2-wheeler lives but not in eastern Colorado. Havent seen ducks this year because as of today it is about 90 degres, way to warm.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:29:48 pm »
Shawn, here's hoping you have as good an opening as last yr!

...JP

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 03:31:23 pm »
Thanks Jp. Are you doing any duck hunting this year? If you happen to come to Colorado feel free to stop by and Ill take you out for some duck hunting.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 03:34:22 pm »
Thanks Jp. Are you doing any duck hunting this year? If you happen to come to Colorado feel free to stop by and Ill take you out for some duck hunting.

Shawn, I really appreciate the offer but duck hunting is something I never really got into, I've been just a few times and liked it. Usually I'm in a tree looking down when you're on the ground looking up.

...JP

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 06:02:49 pm »
LOL  :)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 07:46:16 pm »
I hear there is this honey hole up in Mapel Ridge, :evil: and the ducks will walk by a rock pile and right up to you. Has anyone heard about this?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 04:55:16 am »
Where is mapel ridge? I've not heard of it. I know if you throw out some decoys in the river and some what know how to make a duck noise the ducks will fall from the sky to land in the decoys.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 11:15:16 pm »
Duck season is on its way. opening day we only got 4 wood ducks. Second day of hunting we got 15, green wing teal and wood ducks. Out of the three of us that went I was told they would be over to help dress the ducks. After finishing the last duck guess who shows up. Ducks were sliced into thin strips, cut up some onions, jalapeno peppers, diced some garlic, little bit of itilian dressing and olive oil. Mixed all together and put on the grill for about 6 minutes. Served with frsh picked tomatoes and chips.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 12:18:54 am »
Sounds like y'all had a feast!

...JP

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 01:53:27 pm »
Well duck season is up and going in Colorado. I think I am part of the conservation because I went through a box of shells and only got 3 ducks. Well I guess someone needs to miss them to keep the population going.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 12:14:40 am »
What type are y'all getting right now?

...JP