Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding splits and swarms  (Read 2313 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Feeding splits and swarms
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:26:49 am »
Hey everybody!

Well, despite the weather lately, which is making me CRAZY! we ended up catching 3 swarms in addition to the 2 splits I made the last 2 weeks of April.  One went to a friends yard, one is waiting to go to a friends yard and one will (hopefully) be installed in the learning garden of a city park! (YAY).  In the meantime I have 4 baby hives in my yard in addition to the 3 established. Yikes!

Everything I read says "Feed, feed feed"  swarms and splits.  But these bees will not take it!  I have put 1:1 on each of them and they take it so slowly (1/2 a jar in a week) that it begins to mold in the jar.  I hate to keep wasting the sugar.

So. . . .
1.  Should I keep putting the feed on them?  and
2.  If it gets a film of mold on the jar, should I remove it or can the bees handle it?  Should i make a stronger blend?

The flow seems to still be going strong even though the rain has kept them in some.  We are waiting to see if they start laying.  If it keeps raining on the weekends, i'm going to have to take some vacation days in order to check them properly!!

Hope everyone is having a good spring! Thanks for any insite.

love,
ziffa

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Feeding splits and swarms
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:01:36 am »
Everything you have read said to feed until they stop taking it. You aren't paying attention. They have stopped taking it, so stop feeding.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:04:36 am »
I don't feed my splits.  There's plenty going on in nature for them to get naturally.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:06:18 am »
You caught three swarm? Yaaaayyyyy! I missed the dance though!
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:16 am »
You caught three swarm? Yaaaayyyyy! I missed the dance though!

:-D

i think you answered your own question!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:11:01 am »
I started feeding but pulled the feeders 4 days later.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:19:22 am »
Ouch, Iddee!  :'(  Some of it just says "Feed feed feed - -they are going to need a lot of help"   :embarassed:.  But you and Kathy are right.  I did kinda figure, but sometimes a girl needs some reassurance!  /pout   ;)

And Scott - Hippy bee caught 2 of them while I was at work!  He had so much fun, and I was jealous.  He doesn't dance but he does yell  "SWAAAARRRMM!!" a- la "GOOOOOAAAAALLLL!" in soccer. :D

ST I haven't pulled them yet.  Do you think the mold will hurt the bees?  (tho since they aren't really taking it, I guess not.)

And thanks Bassman!  I kept telling myself that, but then would read another article or post . . . a couple of them never took it at all.  If the sun would just keep shining here, I think we could have a great honey crop!

I love you guys! You make everything seem so easy. When just 30 minutes ago it was agonizing!

love,
ziffa

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:22 am »
if you have a good flow and they are bringing stuff in, don't worry about it.  you know the drill.  give them a good week to settle in and then check for stores and eggs.   ;)

and see if you can post some pics.  i missed all of your adventures at buds.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »
>1.  Should I keep putting the feed on them?  and

Constant feeding will make the smallest new package swarm when they have no business doing so.  Yours are not even taking it.  Obviously you don't need to feed.

>2.  If it gets a film of mold on the jar, should I remove it or can the bees handle it?  Should i make a stronger blend?

I always make 5:3, not 1:1.  1:1 does not keep well at all.  But if the bees are not taking it, I would throw it out and forget feeding until it's fall and then only if they are short of stores...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »
Hey ziffabeek,

I am very new at this and I am talking about a pkg not a nuc or a split. I got my pkg on the 20th of April and since they have to build all the foundation I have been feeding ever since and they are still taking it. I was going to stop but with our weather being so messed up I didn't.

I will probably add the next brood chamber this weekend so I will probably keep feeding. I think the tulip poplar flow is about done but sweet privet hasn't started and I just saw the honeysuckle just starting. I do worry about the queen running out of room but I am trying my best to only go in once a week.

Like you I am having trouble deciding whether to stop feeding or keep on. I know the needs of raising brood are great and my queen is laying like mad. If the flow stops and they run out of stores they could get into trouble.

This is driving me crazy. But I love it too.

Like Michael I am scared that the feeding will make my pkg swarm when they have no business doing so.
The balancing  act is crazy.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 01:34:43 pm »
"i]If the flow stops and they run out of stores they could get into trouble.[/i]"

If they "get in trouble" then you can start feeding at that time.  Don't worry about feeding now--when they won't even take it.  See what the flow produces.

And if you are having trouble with mold, you can add a bit of cider vinegar, Clorox, or some of the feeding additives which help keep the mold down.

Linda D
linda d

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:01 pm »
>The balancing  act is crazy.

All of life is a balancing act.  You want "just right", not too much or too little...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 01:12:11 pm »
It never hurts new installs to have feed out. If they don't
need/want it they won't take it. Especially if they need to draw
out comb.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:05:43 pm »
Hey ziffabeek,

I am very new at this and I am talking about a pkg not a nuc or a split. I got my pkg on the 20th of April and since they have to build all the foundation I have been feeding ever since and they are still taking it. I was going to stop but with our weather being so messed up I didn't.

I will probably add the next brood chamber this weekend so I will probably keep feeding. I think the tulip poplar flow is about done but sweet privet hasn't started and I just saw the honeysuckle just starting. I do worry about the queen running out of room but I am trying my best to only go in once a week.

Like you I am having trouble deciding whether to stop feeding or keep on. I know the needs of raising brood are great and my queen is laying like mad. If the flow stops and they run out of stores they could get into trouble.

This is driving me crazy. But I love it too.

Like Michael I am scared that the feeding will make my pkg swarm when they have no business doing so.
The balancing  act is crazy.

David

is the feeding crazy or a feeder, but something is crazy. ...But as he says: I you love it too.
Don't let anybody stop your love. May it be forever. Only swarming can separate you from your package.
Language barrier NOT included

anything