Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 new hives.... FOR FREE!!!  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
2 new hives.... FOR FREE!!!
« on: May 20, 2005, 11:31:34 pm »
Ok, I went to this guys house and told him who I was and asked him if his hives where for sale, he told me no :( . Well My grandpa turned out to know the guy very well and he gave them to me!!! :D  :D  :D . One hive was 2 brood boxes and 4 supers and has no bees, the second hive is 1 brood box and 3 supers. There is also an extra hive top and inner cover. Well I have been working on the hives since 3:30 today and it is now 9:30, I am just dead tired. I moved the empty hive and extra parts to my house and opened up the hive with bees. Now here is the problem. I opened it up and the top super has no frames! I am going to hook it into frames since it is straight peices built on top of the other frames. I am sanding and painting the empty hive and transfering them to it. After they are in there new hive in my apiary I will clean out there old hive and re-do it too. I guess that is all I have to say, bye!!! :D  :D  :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 11:36:03 pm »
So are you saying you have one box that has all natural comb going everywhere? That would be a mess I bet. :) But great news all together! You've got some work on your hands.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 11:38:58 pm »
Yes I do, I am gonna drain what ever comb I have to pull out and save the wax becuase it isnt too dark yet. :D

O yeah,  he is looking out at his farm this week to see if he has anything good out there to give, Im so happy!!!!!!! :D
Ryan Horn

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 11:50:16 pm »
great . last year i was given a huge amount of hives supers and old frames At the time I knew nothing. He also gave me a large extractor and a bottling tank ( I think ) it is stainless steel and has a thermostate but no element. he also gave me boxes and boxes of foundation of all three sizes. Alot of it is old but renewable, but a lot of it is in good condition and I am using six deep bodies and three supers. I might buy new frames though. I have found it is not fun for a frame to fall apart when you take it out lol.  there are a lot of beekeepers here who got out of it so if I make money I will try to find more later on. anyway I am happy for you good luck
billiet

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:57:50 pm »
When I got in it I closed it after a few minutes and decided that was tomarrows project, lol. I could see all the frames, that are there, where glued in with LOTS of propolis.  :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 10:19:47 am »
I am VERY jelous of your good fotune!!  Anyways, congradulations on getting the hives and parts for free!

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 10:25:18 am »
That one hive is going to take all day to work and clean. :x  O well, just a part of a bee keeper, and hey, its free :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 08:31:12 pm »
That sounds great. Don't forget to return the favor. I bet the old guy would really appreciate a quart ot two of honey whe you get it.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 01:03:38 am »
I told him I would and he said all he wanted was a pint of honey. Plus today my dad and I went to move the hive with bees. I sealed them up or so I thought. They came out of a space I didnt see and I got stung 2 times. My dad started laughing and we just decided to wait till tomarrow. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 01:42:06 am »
I moved and cleaned the hive today thanks to my best bee budy Jack, We had to knock all the  natural comb out without frames into a tub and put the bees in a new hive. There was alot of really new comb full of caped honey so we filled 7 quart jars with it. I compresed it all and got 3 quarts out of it. We could have had more but it was really dark and had some brood :x . They seamed to like there new home just fine and I think they will be happy here, night :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 09:20:42 pm »
Did you melt the wax too?

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 09:51:57 am »
One of the members of our club, Central Ohio Beekeepers, suggested that I scorch the inside of the used boxes I got from another retired beekeeper.  Said it would help control the spread of some diseases and wax moths into my colonies.

Just a thought.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 12:34:23 pm »
I melted it down. I sanded and scorched them. :D
Ryan Horn