Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long can hives sit empty without bees?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
How long can hives sit empty without bees?
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:30:03 pm »
This is our first year to keep bees. The hives build, painted, aired and ready for foundation, but we won't pick up the bees until April 17th. When is it safe to put the wax foundation in and put the hives in the yard? How long does it take to drop in the foundation, per new hive? I don't want to leave it to the last minute :) but am concerned that wax moths or other pests will invade without the bees to defend the hives. Thanks!

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
Re: How long can hives sit empty without bees?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:44:09 pm »
Whats holding you back?

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:30 pm »
It is safe.
Only comb that was used for brood rearing is susceptible to wax moth. The larvae feeds on the residue from the bee cocoons.
It doesn't take long to put the foundation in the frames, just do it.
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:50:44 pm »
Are you going to cross wire the foundation? If not, I wouldn't do it more than a few days prior. With foundation, I would worry about melting, warping, and mice more than moths.

Having said that, I have a new hive setting in my shop without cross wires. It has been there two years and is still in good shape. I didn't do it purposely, but it did happen and is still fine. The sooner before using, the less chance for Murphy to step in and let something happen.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:21:08 pm »
The problem is that wax is actually just a slow liquid.  The warmer it is the faster it moves.  Putting foundation in early can result in it buckling.  I would wait until the last minute to put in foundation...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 07:19:22 pm »
Different experience here.  Pulled out my super with the frames of starter strips in them. They were double bagged in heavy garbage bags and duct taped all around each bag.

The wax moths ate out all the wax starter strips and made a mess. Their cocoons were  hanging from the frames.

anything