Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rubber bands  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Rubber bands
« on: May 04, 2008, 06:40:13 pm »
I used rubber bands to hold in the chunks of comb that I cut out of the hive...will the bees remove them eventually, or should I do it once they've attached the comb to the frames? Or should I not bother and just leave them on?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Rubber bands
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 07:00:42 pm »
i leave them.  they usually degrade and break eventually.  when i get into the hive later on, i remove them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 07:42:59 pm »
The bees will remove them.  If you like after a week or so you can cut them .  The only problem with them is that sometimes the bottom bar bows after a while.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 08:42:45 pm »
The bees eat through the rubber bands and they wind up on the bottom board, some hives do this faster than others. I usually remove them when I see them on the bottom board. Certain hives will leave them on the bottom board for quite a while, others will move them out. I always give them a helping hand.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:58:42 am »
The rubberbands break down. The bees also chew on them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything