Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Coyote  (Read 17366 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Coyote
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 07:25:17 pm »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 12:31:46 am »
You gonna shoot him in the neck too Jerry? :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 12:46:33 am »
We have so many coyotes around here and I have seen them on more than one occassion. They try to lure the dog into the woods and he runs into the woods and I freak out that he will get eaten.  I hate that yip yip sound they make all night long sometimes.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 12:58:04 am »
I believe it was Danno that said Coyotes and roaches would be the last to leave earth and I have to agree.

I've read up on them and they have a way of surviving that is unprecedented in the animal kingdom.

You have to respect their skills.

There really is no (legal, politically correct) way to get rid of them, they have ways of coming back and boosting their population when messed with.

They are far smarter than people give them credit for.

The late, famous archer Howard Hill was a renowned trapper, he said the smartest animal out there is the coyote, I remember reading accounts where he had coyotes steal chickens without setting off traps.

Good trappers know all about being scent free with their equipment and outsmarting their target, but coyotes can be as sly as they come.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 01:05:26 am »
they are smart.  i couldn't believe that one last night.  it gave us both the chills.  it sounded just like a young dog barking....until it didn't!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:58 am »
Jerry
What kind of trap are you making?   If its any kind of box trap you will never catch a adult in it.   These are the ones stealing chickens to feed pups.  Once the pups are hunting you might catch 1 or 2 of these but this wont solve your problem.   As I stated in a earlier post I have trapped snared and shot hundreds.  If you want to make a dent in th population learn to snare.  If very easy to learn.  Snaring is cheap to get into.  It is very effective.   You catch them going from point a to point b and  because there is no bait, they are not cautious.  They are just traveling and if they hit the loop they are dead if they miss the loop they dont know how close they were.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »
Gonna be a big box type thing with live chickens as bait. Will look a lot like a small chicken coop and perhaps they will want to go in and get the chicken. when they get far enough into the box, a portion of the floor tilts and pulls a pin holding the door open and another pin to drop another door to block off the chickens.

The problem with doing other types is the other animals that might walk into the trap. Like my dogs and cats.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 11:24:56 pm »
Hmmm...So,... I'm the party pooper this time....
 I like coyotes!
 I like how they sound at evening time..There used to be more out here but walmart came and tons of wildlife was pushed out
Eventually, people will irradicate the coyotes...just like the cougars...just like the buffalo.Sure, the coyotes are very good adapters...but, so was the American Indian.
Its a fact that the coyotes can get a calf or chicken...but, maybe, if people hadnt shot up all the rabbits, turkeys, and other food for coyotes, they wouldnt come after our stuff.
People down here pretty much shoot the coyotes just to be able to kill something and be justified...Theres lots of ranchers around my area and all the ones Ive talked to about the coyotes dont consider them a problem..The Hilltop Ranch has some big dogs called Great pyraneese( big furry white dogs)really friendly when they come around. The hilltop guy, when he spots a coyote, just lets the dogs go after them. he doesnt lose calves.
I used to lose chickens to coyotes sometimes...But, now, I have too many dogs! too many dogs for coyotes to tangle with...and too many dogs to have around chickens.
I lost more chickens from dogs than I ever did to coyotes
 I dont like seeing the coyotes hanging dead on tee posts either for miles down the road..Its sick....It doesnt deter other coyotes from coming around.It just is a way for somebody who shoots them like that to tell the world how tuff he is.
 But,...to each his own, I suppose. I used to hate killing animals for whatever reason...But, recently, Ive become quite adept at killing hawks which keep coming back for free pigeon dinners..If I dont pull the trigger, I wont have any pigeons left. Killed a bobcat once last year too....I locked paul in the pigeon coop while I went to get more bullets( we musta shot 60 rounds at very close range and couldnt hit the cat!)Paul was in there waiting for me and the bullets...I forgot about him...I was having a few beers while he waited....Paul killed it with a shovel that looks like a fork!When I came outta the house I heard paul yelling to let him out! Thats when I realised I had locked him in and forgotten about him in there!
Never a dull moment!

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 11:55:23 pm »
i like them too, but they won't stick to the rabbits.  of those, i have plenty, and would love them to be thinned.  i wouldn't think of shooting the  hawks, but the swallows can go!!!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 12:09:12 am »
I have a lot of rabbits, rats, mice, and who knows what. Notice my first post I was only trying to scare him off and hoped he would stay away. Since then I had seen him a couple of times and got one other shot at him. Then I lost two chickens in two days and nobody saw him.

I like coyotes. I like to hear them yelping at night. They have their place in the world. They do scavenge therefore keeping the dead carcasses in check. We had a car plaster a couple of goats one night and the next day the coyotes drug them off the highway to feed off them.

I don't think they will ever be killed off. They live in the suburbs after all.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 06:44:21 pm »
I grew up on this little farm I live on now and had never seen a coyote when I was growing up. The TWRA set them out everywhere. I have not lost any calfs but I do think they keep the cat population in check.

Like I said before they are very smart and oppertunistic, so much they will make a mistake and those are costly. Just as you proved, he was so intent on keeping his eyes on you he forgot to look around, and it was costly.

After you use bait, different calls and shoot at them a couple of times they tend to know what you are up to. It is best to catch them just walking around to shoot one, thats tough. I use snares on fence lines myself, just find where they are crossing and hang it off of the barb wire.

I would not shoot a hawk to protect a pigeon, but then again pigeons are not my thing. The crows around here keep the hawks in check, and I try to keep the crows in check.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2009, 12:38:14 am »
I have never been a fan of any AR type rifle.  I had either an M1 Garand, or M14 while in the Army until I got to SE Asia.  Then I was issued what I used to call my Richocet rifle, after the toy Mattel rifleman's rifle popular back then, as it went Sprong every time I pulled the trigger.  The sound of the recoil damper drove me crazy.  I sear mine was made my Mattel too.  The first time I fired it at the range every shot was keyholed, whether the distance was 25 or 150 yards it was still keyholed. 
I've also never had one in my hands that I thought was very accurate either.  Now I can shoot the2 inch black bullseye out of the target at a hunderd yards with a decent  rifle and I've just never been able to make anytype AR, or knockoff, work for me.  Have the same problem with the 1911 45 ACP.  The grip just doesn't fit my hand, juat like the AR's don't give me a good sight picture.

Besides, I believe in hitting what I'm aiming at with 1 shot at a time, not plummiting something to death by throw 100 rounds a minute at it.

That was a good shot sounds like the scope was off to the right a click or 2.  What type of weapon was it?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 01:31:54 am »
AR-15

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 08:59:36 am »
I have a few sodium cyanide getter guns.   They work really good

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:12 am »
I have a few sodium cyanide getter guns.   They work really good

Why do you have these? What do you use them for?

...JP

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:14 am »
I'm pretty fond of the 1911 - partly because of all the cheap racing parts available.
I never was much on the .223 though.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 12:14:12 pm »
I like to hear the 'yotes.  I don't like 'em too close, though.  We have a Great Pyr that keeps 'em away for the most part, but they still like to dinker around the edges. 

We live about 4 miles from town.  The town is roughly 300k+ population, but the little buggers are still very prevalent.  I, twice, have seen them trotting along a RR track in town.  One of these times I was working third shift in the "hood".  I saw an adult with a pup following.  They were checking garbage in the alleys. 

Last Spring I found a den of pups while shrooming.  My kiddos begged me to take one and make a pet.  I didn't kill them, but I didn't bring the chicken enemies home either.   ;)  We hear and see them often.

In fact I scared one up last Tuesday.  I was up fairly early and took a quick walk through our little woods.  We have just 5 acres, but we have mostly woods and fields around us.  Our Great Pyr and I popped into one of the fields and there was a big old 'yote.  Probably the only time in recent history I didn't have a gun in my pocket.  He was only about 20yds away, and woulda given me just enough time to dump him.  I am pretty sure he was heading to my chicken coop.  He was 200 yds from it, heading that direction.  The dog woulda scared him off, I am sure, but we did lose one chicken the week before.  The coyote was pretty big.... probably 40+ pounder. 

I don't want to irradicate them, just thin them out now and then.  They are tough and admirable.  But they don't need to eat my chickens.... or kids for that matter LOL.  (although some days hee hee :roll:) 

So, Jerrymac, good luck!  They are a pleasure to hear, and a challenge to call and kill, or trap for that matter.  Not much experience with the trapping.  Some with the call/kill. 

Brian D. Bray, I have heard many vets give the same review of the M16 and some of the 1911.  It would have sucked to be given such an undependable weapon.  I don't have much experience with the original 1911.  I have shot the M16 quite a bit.  We have quite a few surplus guns from the Vietnam era (I think).  I am not as knowledgable on whether they are A2 or A1.  Regardless, they must be modified in some way from what they were then, because my issued weapon works well.  As long as it is realitively clean and oiled, it functions very well.  It also is pretty accurate out to 300+ meters with the iron sights.  40 out of 40 in the 5 ring of a man-size target.  It is definitely an old rifle, but nowadays I really have no complaints.  It sure isn't sub MOA, but works. 

I sure was never in those jungles, so I can't vouch for the current weapons function in that climate or dirt.  I am guessing that rolling around in the mud and filth of Asia, they might have issues still.  For most of my work I would prefer my MP5, anyway.  Perimeter work, or "borrowing" it from my trunk for a pot shot at a 'yote it still does the job LOL.  :-D

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:30 pm »
Love my AR15 - and my 1911.  The SKS is nice, I can drive tacks with the Glock 23, but the Kel-tec fits nice and obscurely in my pocket....they're all great.  As far as 100 rounds a minute, not here in MA, no full auto allowed.  The bullets fire as fast as I can move my finger.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 12:29:19 pm »
[...]The coyote was pretty big.... probably 40+ pounder.[...] 

I remember reading about 15 years ago or so that where the wolf had been wiped out, the coyotes were bulking up and adopting wolfish hunting techniques.
the pity is - in all of recorded history - pure wild wolves have never attacked human beings; (the teriffic stories in fiction and whatnot were just that - fiction, there are no recorded, viable documented attacks by wolves - on humans.) wolf/shepard, wolf/ husky, and wolf/whatever mixes don't count.
Coyotes on the other hand, can be a nasty piece of work 1:1 with a people  - documented incidents of mauling children and challenging adults.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 01:24:56 pm »
I have a few sodium cyanide getter guns.   They work really good

Why do you have these? What do you use them for?

...JP
These are collectors items.  They fire a cyanide capsule into the mouth of the K9 using a 38 cal pistel round.  They were replaced in the 1960s with the M44, a spring loaded cyanide devise.   I have a bunch of friends that are lic. to use these in the west.