Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splitting in bad weahter?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Splitting in bad weahter?
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:44 pm »
I just got a hive in two deep boxes.  It is completely full and ready to split.  I have queens ordered from Purvis Bros. but due to bad weather they moved the ship date from Tuesday to Friday.  My concern is that the weather is supposed to be rainy here from wednesday thru the rest of the week.  The queens aren't supposed to arrive till Monday.  Should I wait and  split in the inclement weather on Saturday or Split tomorrow and have the hives go queenless for almost a week.  I just don't know how long before they start making queen cells...I don't want that.

THe other option I was thinking about was to do the splits and just stack them on top of each other with excluders between, then it would be easier to just move the boxes off and into their new spot the day before the queens arrive.

I know there are lots of ways to do a split, I just want to make sure that I get it right.  I've ready MB's inof on splits, but thought that I needed a bit more help here.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Splitting in bad weahter?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:46:32 am »
They won't swarm while the weather is bad.  Of course the first sunny day...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Re: Splitting in bad weahter?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:47 am »
I would not leave them queenless for a week.  If you have eggs in the box and its queenless they will start making a new queen and u will run into introduction problems.  Personally I would split them Sunday morning regardless of weather and place the queens in the splits on Monday as soon as you get them. 

BEWARE: the bees will make you second guess your decision to split them during bad weather.....

Fear not.  U will make it thru.  I think we split 200 colonies one day in bad bad bad weather in Tx...  Of course I was happy when the splitting was done!
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!