Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Bobbru

• Brood
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:22:56 pm »
New member, new beehive.  I sign on with user name Bobbru.  I have a new hive with a demetered queen and 4.6 pounds of bees.  All is well after one full month.  The hive is in a ant area and I placed it on concrete blocks in a 3 inch high tub with water. Waloo! no ants.  I am following the state Demetered standards and keeping no pesticides in or near the hive. The queen and bees were shipped from Bearfoothoney.com.  They are in Santa Rosa CA.  Their bees are very mild and are Italian in origin.

I am 74 and fully retired from IBM. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:37:41 pm »
Can you add your location in your profile and hope you in joy your beekeeping.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:40:25 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful would of beekeeping and welcome to the forum

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:36:49 am »
Welcome to this forum!

I also keep my hives in an ant environment.  The water-trap works nicely, but be sure not to get any long grass or anything near the hive gowing high and touching the hive and thus making a bridge for the ants.  If your area is very hot and you can risk loosing all the water to damp, you can add a bit of (food type of) oil on the top of the water, and you won't loose as much.

My water trap worked like a charm, but I had to make some sort of roof over it as I lost quite a lot of bees without it.  They missed the landing board and hit the oily water and died.

As I have the same ant problems as you, I would be glad to hear about any other tips or trick you might have :-)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:48:47 am »
Bobbru, welcome to our forum.  So nice that you have decided to keep bees, and they are doing well.  Enjoy your stay with us, here you will make new friends and have a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love to listen.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:14:51 pm »
Welcome Bobbru.  What is a demetered queen?

anything