Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractor  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Extractor
« on: July 29, 2004, 10:33:36 am »
When I lived in Maine and kept bees, there was a professional beekeeper who would take your honey, spin it out and bottle it for a small fee. Now that I am in Vermont and am once again keeping bees, I need an extractor since this service doesn't seem to be available here.

I tried uncapping one frame and letting it drip and I can see that that is not going to work for me. I don't want to squash the wax as I would like to give it back to the bees.

Looking at what is available on the market, does anyone have any suggestions for an economical extractor? There is a plastic one at Dadant (I think) but I wonder how that would hold up.

There are also plans for making one but I'm a little concerned about using a metal trash can as pictured on the plan cover (my husband thinks it might have lead solder) and a plastic garbage can is not food quality plastic.  Has anyone made one?

Your input would be much appreciated. What are you using?
Judy

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
Extractor
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 02:40:21 pm »
Staying on the Maine/Vermont note, I believe most new trash cans are crimped and siliconed as are stock tanks used for cattle, and also (the Vermont note) I learned from sugarin' that lead can leach when water sits in it for any amount of time, or is brand new, or boiled.  Usually the "cold" side of things, lead count isnt detectable.  If you get an old 30 gal. (same size as a trashcan) red plastic pickle/olive/pepper barrel, it should be food grade.  There is usually a horrible vinegary smell which a lb. of baking soda and filling it full of water, let it sit for a couple weeks, should get rid of.
     Local maple producers should be able to help you out with food grade stuff and cleaning.  They use a lot of stainless 30 gal Dr pepper soda canisters to package bulk in too (along w/ plastic, enamel lined)...maybe get one for cheap or trade for honey,etc.
  Ok now on the Maine note...if you still lived here, you could borrow MY extractor !!  :P  :P  :P
  Good luck, and dont take my advice for anything its worth....ask other people!!  LOL, good luck, may your bees boil over

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Extractor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 03:23:52 pm »
Don't know if I can add much to all the good info Jeremy gave.  I too don't think there would be that much lead leaching without heat, and given the limited amount of time the honey would be in there.

If you are concerned,  you could always seal the seams with (food grade?) paint or silicone.  Sticking with the sugaring theme,  a local syruper gave my dad some special paint he uses to seal his sap buckets, which we used on a wine press.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Extractor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 04:06:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice and information. My stepson does sugering so maybe my own family can steer me to something we could use if we go the homemade route.

What kinds of extractors do you have?
Judy

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
Extractor
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:38:27 pm »
Here's a few links I could share, of sugarin' equipment.  Most places sell that food grade epoxy paint, although pricey.  MAybe theres some other interesting things on there too, someone could use, or just learn about...Its a really cool hobby!!...and sweet, just like keepin bees!!! :lol:
http://www.bascommaple.com/
http://www.leaderevaporator.com/
http://www.waterloosmallusa.com/
http://www.mapletrader.com/phpBB2/index.php -  maple forum

Judy, I just use an ol' hand me down galvie 4 frame hand crank rig with no rust.  Of course I only have 2 hives, and live out in the woods too (not much honey out of a gew goldenrods  :( ).
Good luck to ya....always welcome to take over the shed for a few hours if you're in the So Maine area, and that goes for anyone else who might like to use it too.-------Jeremy

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Extractor
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 09:22:41 pm »
I have an old galvanized 4 frame extractor that was converted from hand crank to electric motor many many years ago.  

We have had it ever since I can remember.  Dad bought it used and converted it to electric.  Funny thing is we were just talking about it tonight, because a neighbor just acquired a similar hand crank one and was over checking out the motor adapter bracket on ours.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

Extractor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 12:45:12 pm »
I bought an old galvanized 4 frame reversable extractor on eBay for $86.00 which fortunattely was within 40 miles of me so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I removed the 4 reversible baskets from inside and formed some 22 gage channels to hold the frames with and coverted it to a 20 frame radial extractor. I coated all the interior galvanized material with food grade epoxy paint (at $30,00 a pint which I bought from a local restaraunt supplier) and added a 1/3 horsepower drive motor to spin the frames at approximately 275 rpm. It removes 99% of the honey in less than 10 minutes.

You might want to get on eBay and do a search on "honey extractor" you may find something that would suit your purpose without paying too much.

anything