Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie question on harvesting  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Newbie question on harvesting
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:28:28 pm »
I have two half height supers for honey. Three weeks ago they had only just started to build comb on the new foundation in the top super and was able to take 4 full frames from the second.

Today I took 5 frames from the top super all the rest in both supers were only half capped and interestingly only on one side (west) in the top super and top half of the frames on both sides in the second super. I have read not to take uncapped frames as the honey has too high a water content and not concentrated enough so can ferment. What should I do -give them another week to finish the job?

There was also burr comb in the lid with about half a kilo of honey in it - this is in spite of putting a sheet of lino over the top of the frames to discourage them doing this.

Any comments ?
David L

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Re: Newbie question on harvesting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:43:50 pm »
Yes, I would wait until they have capped it.

Alfred

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Re: Newbie question on harvesting
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:15:59 am »
Wait till at least 80% to 90% of the honey combs on both sides of the frames are capped. Honey with high moisture is not good for storage as it would ferment overtime or sometimes spoil.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.