Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Solar Ventilators  (Read 7647 times)

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
Solar Ventilators
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:37:58 pm »
I started using solar ventilators on some of my hives this year and have seen an increase in honey on those hives. Is anyone else using them, and what changes have you seen?

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: Solar Ventilators
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:50:08 pm »
   What are they??? :?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:58:35 pm »
I started using solar ventilators on some of my hives this year and have seen an increase in honey on those hives.

How many hives?  How do you know it was the ventilators and not a better year for nectar?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:22:05 pm »
They are boxes with a fan mounted in them to circulate the air thru the hive, and powered by solar.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:38:46 pm »
I placed the ventilators on 2 of 9 hives in one area, and they produced the most honey w/ healthier bees.  It also helps dry the honey, moisture and cool the hives in the summer. This gives the bees more time to gather more honey, so they do not have to fan the honey, brood and pests.

Offline stoyanovs

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 04:16:29 am »
I started using solar ventilators on some of my hives this year and have seen an increase in honey on those hives. Is anyone else using them, and what changes have you seen?

Can you please share a photo?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:26:36 am »
Can you please share a photo?

Here is an example

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 02:01:18 pm »
I was not able to post a picture yet because I am a new member. Mine are similar to the picture from Robo. They have 4" axial fans mounted on the bottom of the box, with screened damper vents on the end, powered by a 5A solar panel mounted high, and a temp switch that comes on at 90' F. It sure saves time for the bees to scavage for more honey & pollen. It helps dry out the moisture in the honey, and the girls do not have to spend all their time fanning the entrance and brood.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 02:35:23 pm »
You now have full rights to post pictures and links...

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 03:16:18 pm »
At $120.95, I would be reluctant to buy one  :-\ I probably could make a cheaper version just as well. Please let us know how long it takes for such a unit to pay for itself per hive. I have no doubts that it is an effective piece of equipment in the area of hive ventilation, but bees have been doing it for eons and that's good enough for me.  :-D

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 01:14:41 pm »
You could build one pretty cheap with a few wood working skills. The cooling fan is one just like computer uses. The solar cell can be an old electric fence charger, and a temp switch to turn on at a certain temp can be purchased cheap at an electronic store. Cut out and Mount the fan and air dampers, then you are good to go. You have to be dedicated to your ladies to go through this much work to help them out.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 10:41:19 pm »
Beehopper, do you know a dealer that sells the solar ventilators? I am going to try and purchase or build at least one a year for my hives.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 03:21:08 am »
Beehopper, do you know a dealer that sells the solar ventilators? I am going to try and purchase or build at least one a year for my hives.

The only place I know of : http://www.beecoolventilators.com/products.php

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 04:14:58 pm »
Thank you BeeHopper, that is exactly what my first ventilator looks like. It also tells all the advantages it does for your bees and honey production.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 08:15:20 pm »
Is there any type of solar heaters, or plans to make one, to help the bees during the cold winters? Something like a heat tape or wrap that can be powered by the sun? My girls work hard enough already, I could help warm them in the winter time!

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 12:40:54 pm »
I might add that I pull the ventilators off for the winter, and only use them in the heat of the summer. I also keep my screened bottom boards open all year for circulation.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 03:57:25 am »
Interesting little gadget there.  I suspect that you might be seeing more honey because it's ripening faster.  Wonder when someone is gonna come up with a machine that will email us a mite count, tell us when to super, and when to rob.  I sure hope someone is working on an iphone app for that lol.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35:19 am »
webee jammin

Robo is doing some really cool stuff

check out this topic of robos or search "supplemental heat"

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,11721.0.html

I am going to tamper with solar hive heating.  Not electrical heating but thermal.  I have no delusions of grandeur but I want to see what happens.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,25350.0.html

I have found a better way to gain solar heat than I had imagined in the posted link above.

check this out.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/30/diy-solar-heater-constructed-with-aluminum-cans/

and search you tube
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 05:42:53 am »
this is the link I ment to give you

http://greenterrafirma.com/solar-air-heating.html
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:58 am »
this is the link I ment to give you

http://greenterrafirma.com/solar-air-heating.html

Very cool.  I can see a soda can array sucking cold air from the bottom entrance  :-D   Keep us posted on your experiment....

anything