Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blueberrys  (Read 17670 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Blueberrys
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58:11 pm »
I grow blueberry bushes, the don't bear fruit for a few years, think maybe something like 3 years?  Blueberries require quite a lot of moisture to grow properly and the pH is a really important thing too.  There are many ways to keep the moisture in the soil where you grow your bushes.  Enjoy, nothing nicer than a fresh picked handful of yummy berries that are blue.  Have that great, most awesomely wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 08:19:43 am »
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »
I wanted to buy some but I dont think I have the room for 500  :shock:. Thanks for all the post. I believe Ill check locally if not then Ill order a package deal of 6.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »
I wanted to buy some but I dont think I have the room for 500  :shock:. Thanks for all the post. I believe Ill check locally if not then Ill order a package deal of 6.
Come on Shawn go for the 500. Think, you can feed the hungry. There are plenty of hungry beekeeps on this list.  :-D

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »
I am thinking of ordering a collection of blueberrys from the below link. I know nothing about blueberrys and dont really like the taste of them. Im only planting for the bees and to have another type of plant I can profit from. I read you need really acidic soil, ph4 to 4.5. I have sandy soil here so how would you add the acid? Do the blueberrys spread by root? Any info would be great.

http://www.noursefarms.com/catalog/Product/COLLECTIONS/BB-COLL/All%20Season%20Blueberry%20Collection.aspx
I'm late to this thread but I have to say, that's going price from many nurseries, and Nourse's is probably one of the best there is.  Six six year old plants for  $46.00 really is a good price for plants that are ready to produce.  Sure, you could root cuttings, but you'd have to grow for six years to get the same plant!  I would buy this collection with confidence and no, I have no financial interest in them.  You get what you pay for.

As for growing blueberries in your area, you'll have to check with local gardeners or farmers about your soil conditions and growing climate.  Blueberries grow well all around our area here (where Nourse is located, actually), so we can basically stick them in the ground and expect a crop - not so much in other areas of the country, particularly if you have sweet or alkaline soil.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 03:14:35 pm »
I am thinking of ordering a collection of blueberrys from the below link. I know nothing about blueberrys and dont really like the taste of them. Im only planting for the bees and to have another type of plant I can profit from. I read you need really acidic soil, ph4 to 4.5. I have sandy soil here so how would you add the acid? Do the blueberrys spread by root? Any info would be great.

http://www.noursefarms.com/catalog/Product/COLLECTIONS/BB-COLL/All%20Season%20Blueberry%20Collection.aspx
I'm late to this thread but I have to say, that's going price from many nurseries, and Nourse's is probably one of the best there is.  Six six year old plants for  $46.00 really is a good price for plants that are ready to produce.  Sure, you could root cuttings, but you'd have to grow for six years to get the same plant!  I would buy this collection with confidence and no, I have no financial interest in them.  You get what you pay for.

As for growing blueberries in your area, you'll have to check with local gardeners or farmers about your soil conditions and growing climate.  Blueberries grow well all around our area here (where Nourse is located, actually), so we can basically stick them in the ground and expect a crop - not so much in other areas of the country, particularly if you have sweet or alkaline soil.

I think you will find that these 2 yr old plants fron nourse farms are a long way from producing, and not ready to give you an immediate crop.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 08:33:14 pm »
Im not really looking for a crop at this time just looking for quality plants that will one day produce.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 07:27:30 pm »
Well Walmart just got their first shipment of blueberries in and they are asking $10.00 a plant. The plants did not look all that great but one or two already had blooms on them. I thought 10 was too much so still looking.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 12:15:47 pm »
Just called the extension office and found out the soil here is in the high 7.5 to 8 for ph. I thought I would have to add stuff to increase the PH but now I have to figure out how to lower the PH. 

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »
spent coffee grounds work well at acidifying and fertilizing the ground....

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 12:16:39 pm »
You don't want to be any higher than 5.0 for blueberries.
I just found this thread but I have dealt with Nourse and they are a good nursery.
I stopped by there last year and they have some beautiful stock.
I have personally ordered those blueberries from Nourse this year. Around here that is a good price and they are known for their quality.
I have looked at Stark, Miller, Raintree and other nurseries and they are only selling plants in a 4 inch pot and some of their prices are even higher than Nourse.
At nourse your root stock will be a minimum of a foot and a half tall, better than a 4 inch pot.
One of the catalogs is charging $26.50 for their "jumbo" size plants.
If you check their website and read the descriptions of each type they describe where they will do best and you can also call them for advice on that as well.
They also guarantee their stock so there is that.
You aren't worried about getting a crop this year, just getting them in the ground for next year if you feel confident about what you are getting from Nourse I would go ahead and order from them.
The cheaper deal is not always the better deal and I have found that when it comes to buying any type of plants, berry shrubs, fruit trees, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 09:12:32 pm »
The cheaper deal is not always the better deal and I have found that when it comes to buying any type of plants, berry shrubs, fruit trees, as with most things, you get what you pay for.
Absolutely!!

from,

Someone Who Bought the Cheapskate Deal and 6 Years
Later STILL Does not Have Blueberries
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 08:55:16 am »
Blueberries love pine needles...   We use them to acidify the soil for ours...
Good fences make good neighbors...   If that don't work, "Remember the Alamo"...     
http://picasaweb.google.com/1bigyeti/BeesOTheShire#

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »
I do not work for Nourse, but we order all but our apple trees from them and they are great.  If you do call them they will most assuredly advise you on what will grow in your area or refer you to someone more local to you.  They are well rated and a good company.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 09:38:09 pm »
Our blueberries.  15 year old bushes that were pull up from the ground as spouts about a foot or two high and just planted in the ground one cold winter.   They are not pruned, cut, fed, watered, or have anything else done to them.  I just mow as close as I can to them to keep the spouts in check, and pull out any honeysuckle or blackberries that grow in there.   Sprouts are free if you can find them and they work great.   

My son added for scale. 

Ready in about 3 weeks.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:25 am »
Wow thats a great bush.