Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hows your garden doing this year?  (Read 14195 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Hows your garden doing this year?
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:01:49 pm »
Mine is growing well this year,we've had [plenty of moisture.

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
Re: Hows your garden doing this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:08:05 pm »
My WAS producing baseball sized tomatoes, tons of squash ad a few eggplant.
Now I have a bunch of squashed.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:58:15 am »
Ken, awesome garden, looks finely kept.  Natalie, I love the raised beds.

How's my garden doing?  Well, for the first time in 20 years, nuthin'.  Never put anything in because of the horror of harvesting a crop right in the middle of moving.  Never moved yet, coulda had the garden of the century.  We have had nothing much more than sunshine all summer so far.  Last year it was nothing but cloud cover.  I think we could have even grown tomatoes not being under cover.  Unheard of in my gardens, that late blight always got them if they were outside.  Sigh.....oh well, another year, sometimes it is good to take a reprieve, but I miss my beets!!!!  and chard....and corn....sigh.  Have that wonderful day, love our life, with awesome health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:24:17 am »
 cindi, that's sad.  it probably would have been a great year for you.  mine is super and the tomatoes are already starting to ripen on some of the early types.  corn soon to follow.

last year was really bad.  we go nothing.

yes, there is next year  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:49:46 am »
Oh, Cindi, I would have planted a garden anyways, I've got to have one - even if I was going to leave it for the new owners!  Mine is a mess, I can't go out there yet, even though I feel marginally better, I know I'm not ready.  The weeds are winning.  My mother is going to send over someone this week to weed for me, but I don't know if he'll be able to make much of a dent, it's that bad :(

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03:31 pm »
my son is in veggie heaven right now.  We have cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, the broccoli lettues is going strong and the carrots are almost done too.  So far this has been a good summer and oh yes the wife is making me plant a garden next year LOL even if she didn't get out there and help(figures).
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:05:08 pm »
your garden will probably be fine even with the weeds!  just throw on a little extra fertilizer  :evil:

weeds here are constant.  even when i think i have done a good job with them, one rain and they are back in force.  there comes a point where i throw up my hands and decide to live with them.  
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 06:34:11 pm »
DRIED UP! doak :roll: :( :( :'(

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 09:06:04 pm »
Doak what happened, you worked so hard. Whats up with all those tomato plants?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »
After I seen what the blight was doing I just quit watering.
I haven't had anything you could call a good rain seance around the last of May.
Our water table hasn't completely recovered from years before. Small streams drying up again.
Don't want to take a chance on running my well out. Am going to do a few fall crops. :)doak

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 11:23:38 pm »
Bummer,  like you said there is still the fall crops but its still disappointing.
 We have had more rain than we ever have had in the spring and summer.
I think it rained 26 days in June here according to the newspaper and july has been rainy and cool as well.
Lots of foliage on the plants but what produces remains to be seen.
I have already been planning my fall crop, actually started some of them the other day.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out for you. :)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 12:23:20 pm »
Mine is growing well this year,we've had [plenty of moisture.

Terrible, terrible, terrible I purchased a new piece of property (home on 6 & 1/2 acres), have not moved there yet, presently on .9 acre on the lake, poor soil, shaded (from neighboring property), cramped, and on sloped landscape. In past have raised much of what we eat on terrible land under terrible conditions, which required much work. Purchased new place, and while having not moved in yet, planted my garden there. With lots of room on leval previously farmed land, I expected a terrific garden. Turns out, the worse I have ever had. Completely destroyed by deer, whats left is dried out, and not enough water in well for irrigating. If I am going to garden (which I must) on my new property, I will have to completely enclose the garden area with at least a 6' fence, and have a new well put down, before next planting.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 12:55:09 am »
Some things were amazing! We gave away around 150 dozen corn and finally quit picking. The potatoes are very productive, berries great, beans wonderful, onions and garlic good.

The tomatoes (my favorite of all crops) got hit by blight. My 75-100 plants are nearly gone. No hope of rainbow-colored salsas and bowls of rainbow cherry tomatoes. Oh well...

So glad that some things thrived anyway! It was just a very cool, very wet year here.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 12:59:34 am »
Luvin, I have been wondering where you have been. Looks like you were picking corn!  :-D

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 01:35:12 am »
August was completely consumed by picking and selling (and putting up) blackberries and sweetcorn. SO GLAD for the incredible harvest and even gladder it is done now :)

Did you say your POtatoes were 5' tall, not TOMatoes? Yikes!
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 05:48:47 pm »
Yup, potatoes. I didn't know they could get that tall but maybe all that rain had something to do with it.
I have been harvesting potatoes every couple of days to go with our dinners.
I planted blue, purple, red and white and the kids think its great to eat multi colored potatoes at dinner.

Congrats on your harvest. Did you make jam with the blackberries? Great stuff!

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 02:38:12 pm »
Well it was a good year for my garden even if it was cool almost all summer.  I didn't get the amount of tomatoes that I would have like do to the cool weather, but oh well thats how it goes.  I just finished wrapping all the green tomatoes in newspaper and putting them up until they ripen this winter.  Well hopefully next year will be warmer and we'll have a better crop, but all in all it was ok and I had a fun time with it.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 09:07:24 pm »
Yup, potatoes. I didn't know they could get that tall but maybe all that rain had something to do with it.
I have been harvesting potatoes every couple of days to go with our dinners.
I planted blue, purple, red and white and the kids think its great to eat multi colored potatoes at dinner.

Congrats on your harvest. Did you make jam with the blackberries? Great stuff!
I made lots of jelly and frozen the rest whole. We love them sauced with our applesauce or put in whole and frozen on top of our applesauce, then drizzled with honey :D

How is everyone's garden this spring? We have cherry bushes, apricot and cherry trees, a few strawberries, peach, pear and plum trees blooming. Crossing my fingers that my hive pulls out of its dwindling funk and gets built up enough to enjoy all the action!
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 09:26:03 pm »
Here is my try at showing what my 3 year old did on Good Friday.  So you can imagine sprouts coming up now.