Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot Days abound  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
Hot Days abound
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:21:44 pm »
We're first year bee keepers...

So, we're headed for record breaking humid heat here in NC, 105 degrees farenheit for 4 days. Is there anything we should do to prepare our langstroth hive for this? The girls already beard on the outside of the hive on hot days, which is in partial shade. We have two 10 frame broods and a top feeder. On last inspection 3 weeks ago they filled one box 7 frames with brood & comb and the other with 5 and were working on comb for the remaining frames.

I'm worried about them and hope that they don't swarm or have hardships due to the heat. We're going to set out a water dish for them with protections to prevent drowning. Any other tips you have would be helpful. Also should we vent the hive and how?

Thanks

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Hot Days abound
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:58:35 pm »
Weather.com shows 104, 104, 101, 99 in Durham for the next four days.  We have some hives in Carrboro so we are watching the temps closely.   Availability of water is a good idea.  Afternoon shade is also important.   I think your bees will be ok at 104 but it's not fun is it?
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:10:04 pm »
Thanks FRAMEshift, The temps are predicted to go up to 105 this weekend, which may not happen but it will be wicked hot in the area. It comforts me that you think they'll be ok. I hope your hives stay strong in the heat.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:15:00 pm »
Hot here in south carolina also. How far from the hive do yall keep water for your bees? I have a bird bath about 8 ft. to the side and I hardly every see bees drinking form it. There's a pond 150 yards away, maybe they are going to it.

Danny

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:03:40 pm »

So, we're headed for record breaking humid heat here in NC,

When it's really hot like this, the relative humidity drops.  (hotter air can hold more water vapor)  That means that water evaporates easier, which makes the bees' swamp cooler method work better.

Today, when it was 94 degrees, the relative humidity dropped to 24%, which is desert levels.  This air mass is coming from the great plains and is pretty dry.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:53:44 am »

Yep its been a little on the warm side the last few days.  I have a waterer within 10 feet of my hives, and a pond 100 yards.  I have my hives under a roof and on a slab.  Sometimes I will rinse the slab off and wet the roof.  Good luck to you all.

Joe

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:42:44 pm »
We're not use to heat to this extreme in our area. Unlike dryer climates it's hard to escape and sticks to you. I think our hive will be ok, thanks for the tips.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »
We're not use to heat to this extreme in our area. Unlike dryer climates it's hard to escape and sticks to you. I think our hive will be ok, thanks for the tips.

The weather report just posted 109 Degrees here in middle Ga. I had to pull some frames this morning. 2 of my hives were to packed and was worried about being honey bound. So I got up at 6 am to do it. it was already 89 then. I pulled and uncapped and spun 40 frames all before 11 am the honey was so hot that it had no bubbles and I bottled it. then brought it in the house to cool. now the jars are vacuum locked 8-). now just hidding in the house till night fall. bees are all over the pool must be at least a couple thousand. I go out and scoop them out ever now and then. Man I hot time for another beer.  :-D

john

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:44:57 am »
Folks, it was 112°F here in middle Tennessee Friday, and humidity of 15%.  I haven't seen any rain in 2 months, the grass is brown and dry, the dutch clover is nothing but dead heads.  I got out this morning at 8 and looked in the hives real quick.  Surprisingly they're doing pretty well.

I even see some brood, eggs, stores though I see a lot of empty comb, and they're calm and seemingly happy.  I just checked the thermometer and it reads 97°F at 9AM.  Peace and Love to all.  I finally had to turn on the Air Conditioner.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Orlando

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:43 am »
I followed a blog posting that showed how to make a quilt top box for a Lang. I put them on my hives and I've noticed on even the hottest days they are not bearding and seem to handle the heat well. I think that quilt box helps with temperature regulation.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:35 pm »
I followed a blog posting that showed how to make a quilt top box for a Lang. I put them on my hives and I've noticed on even the hottest days they are not bearding and seem to handle the heat well. I think that quilt box helps with temperature regulation.

Where? and do you have pics?

john

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:47:37 pm »
We've finally broke the heat wave after setting records for consecutive 100+ temps in our region, and two weeks without rain. The girls bearded most of the day and all night, went through a bag of sugar syrup a day and battled an ant raid which led us to take off the top feeder off all together. We put on a med super to give them room and plan to inspect on Sat.

Now we have 4 days of rain in the forecast and cooler temps, still a clump of the girls are on the front porch. We saw a lot of SHB in the feeder when we took it off and the bees were active about running them off. Any suggestions on what to look for during our inspection?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »
I would suggest you pop the telescoping cover up a bit with some popsicle sticks. I would also place a screen on the inner cover just to keep any robber bees from getting into the hive. This will help with the bearding.

Offline Richard

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:23:05 pm »
  My bees had started bearding around 4 in the afternoon till whenever in the am.  I found a good set of plans for a vent box at honeyrunapiaries.com (honeyrunapiaries.com/plans/all_season_inner.pdf). I built mine to the size of a medium super to accommodate a top feeder and also added 4 additional 2 inch vent holes in the top panel since my jar feeder covers a good portion of the center hole. I was able to get it built and on the hive just before the Georgia heat wave.  Even with temperature of 105+, there was almost no bearding.      

Richard

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:45 pm »
That is what I use on all my hives, the ones from honey run apiaries. I never have any bearding in the summer and no moisture problems in the winter.

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »
Thanks for the tips Annette and Richard. They're still bearding in cool but humid temps. I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on in the hive come sat.

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »

Believe I have a near perfect setting S-SE exposure, shade during the Sun's apex of the day, screened bottom boards; however still bearding at 1900hrs here in Roswell last week

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

anything