Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive not taking the sugar syrup  (Read 4400 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Hive not taking the sugar syrup
« on: October 03, 2008, 01:52:49 am »
Made up a batch of sugar syrup. Gave half to one hive, half to the other hive. Both have top feeders which I use all the time.

One hive can't get enough and finishes it overnight. The other hive hasn't touched it. They look very strong otherwise, but need to build up the stores.

Anyone have any ideas why they would not be taking the syrup??

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Hive not taking the sugar syrup
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:01:24 am »
I have never used the type of feeder you are referring to but something does come to mind.. Can they get to the feeder? You know no burr comb or proplis blocking their entrance to the syrup. I think I have heard people using honey b healthy or lemon grass oil mixed in the syrup. If they really need it than I would think they would take it as long as they can get to it. You could also take a couple frames and switch them from the other hive.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:51:43 pm »
You mean take a couple of frames of the capped sugar syrup. Yes, I will have to do that if they do not build up enough stores. Very strange though. The opening is not blocked, as I just cleaned out the feeders again before placing back on the hives. I may just switch this feeder with the one from the other hive just to see if it makes a difference.

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:29:53 pm »
I have had the same problem recently with just one of my six hives.  Everyone taking the syrup except these girls in Hive #2.  Someone suggested checking for the queen, that a queenless hive may not take syrup.. I plan to check for the queen in a couple of days.  Otherwise, the hive looks active and robust.  I tried using 5:3 syrup last time, and also put an ant bait on the ground under the hive as the red ants were having a heyday with the syrup, maybe deterring the bees.  Not sure.  I'll let you know what I find.

Nelly

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:27:18 pm »
Made up a batch of sugar syrup. Gave half to one hive, half to the other hive. Both have top feeders which I use all the time.

One hive can't get enough and finishes it overnight. The other hive hasn't touched it. They look very strong otherwise, but need to build up the stores.

Anyone have any ideas why they would not be taking the syrup??

Bees will not take syrup for several reasons, one of which is thickness of syrup.  A few ideas:
1. Add Honey B Healthy, cider vinegar, or lemon grass oil to the syrup. This changes the acidity level and makes it more attractive to the bees.
2. Thin the mix, 2:1 is great in the fall for building stores but as the weather gets colder the syrup gets more gel like and the bees will quit taking it.  Thinning it to 5:3, 1.5:1, or even 1:1 should bring the bees back to it.
3. Change your feeder style.  I've never had good luck with Miller feeders (Hive Top), they're always more trouble than they're worth, IMO.  I would suggest either a gallon jar, a gallon paint can, or a frame type feeder with ladder.
4. Is the hive that's not building up getting robbed?  Feeding a weak hive, by itself, can trigger robbing.  I always provide so community feeding when focusing on a weak hive to deminish robbing. The tendency is for the entire bee yard to access the community feeder, including the weak hive being fed internally, but the community feeder atrracts bees from every hive and distracts them from the weak hive....as long as the community feeder is maintained.  Let it run out for a few days and the rest of the yard will start robbing the weak hive again. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:47:51 am »
They are taking the sugar syrup now. It took them a while to do it, but now they are drinking up as normal.

Very strange indeed, but everything looks good now.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:44:56 am »
This is one of the reasons why I like the baggie feeder placed on top of the inner cover.  The bees do like the warm syrup, and with the baggie feeder on top of the inner cover, the heat from the colony keeps it warm and the bees love it.  Never had any bees have any problems with sucking the living daylights out of the baggie and leaving it spotlessly clean  :) :) :)  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline RogerB

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14:26 pm »
Annette,

I had the same problem until I started using Honey-B-Healthy.  Ever since then they have all taken all I would give them.

Roger
Roger

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 02:33:26 pm »
This is one of the reasons why I like the baggie feeder placed on top of the inner cover.  The bees do like the warm syrup, and with the baggie feeder on top of the inner cover, the heat from the colony keeps it warm and the bees love it.  Never had any bees have any problems with sucking the living daylights out of the baggie and leaving it spotlessly clean  :) :) :)  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi

Yes, I had been feeding them with the baggie feeder in September every other week, but now that I am trying to get them built up as soon as possible before the cold weather sets in (we have already been down to 48 degrees at night) I have been using the Mann Lake feeders because I can really put lots and lots of syrup at one time. 

But I may go back to the baggie feeders now, because as you say they like the syrup warmer. Also I am having a problem with these big red ants getting into the feeders.

Live and learn
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 02:34:58 pm »
Annette,

I had the same problem until I started using Honey-B-Healthy.  Ever since then they have all taken all I would give them.

Roger

I was always curious about the honey be healthy, but Michael Bush told me it can cause lots of robbing. Perhaps it smells just to good. Anyway they are now taking the regular syrup. Thanks for the info

Annette

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 02:41:45 pm »
 By "top feeders", do you mean the upside down buckets or jars with a few small holes punched in the top?
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 03:00:58 pm »
 Thanks Annette. The upside down jars are what I use.
 Rick
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

anything