Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sears chainsaws  (Read 27503 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Sears chainsaws
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:56:14 pm »
I hate them,
With as many trees as I have you need a good chainsaw, I thought I was set to buy a really nice one then the wifes family got me a sears 20" for christmas one year, got to say what a piece of junk.
It was always a pain to start, then about two years ago I just gave up on it, this year I decided to give it another chance, did a complete strip down and rebuild. Thought I had it fixed when it ran fine for about a day, then it started acting up again, right now about the best I can get it to do is run for about 3 seconds. I am seriously considering blowing the thing up, but I need a chainsaw.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Sears chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:21:08 pm »
Ive got a poulan thats just about as good as your sears chainsaw...It wont idle!
Although, I had a craftsman since I moved out here(10 years ago) and It still runs GREAT! but, since paul decided to sharpen it(and grind down the backside of the teeth for whatever reason) It now need the main clutch parts..I can go out there right now and it'll start right up! it just wont cut anything!
your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:31:17 am »
I have a Poulan for lending and an Echo for working around the place.  The Echo is great and always starts for me, even after being stored all winter.  The Poulan is a constant fight, but they only ask to barrow it once. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:11:51 am »
Good thinkin' Brian!
your friend,
john

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:45:45 am »
I have used all types of chainsaws, Style is a good one but the most powerful chainsaw I ever held was a Jonsered Chainsaw, I mean bad to the bone and starts every time. They cost you but are well worth it!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:19:17 am by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:36:17 pm »
I have a Stihl for cutting fire wood and a Husqvarna for falling trees they start up all the time they don't get time off use them about every other day.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:01:53 pm »
Woodchopper has his Stihl, it starts all the time and has taken care of plenty of trees for firewood around here.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41:50 pm »
I have a couple Jonsered 2077 turbos.  Best saws I've ever owned, the things just won't die. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 09:51:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about your chainsaw. I have a Sears also; it too was a gift, and it has given me several years of dependable service. If yours is beyond hope, get a new one. Avoid the big box stores. Find a local hardware that services what they sell. In the end, it's not so much whether it's a Stihl, Husquvana, Jonsered or whatever, it's the ability to get it serviced locally at someplace that will stand behind their products.

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 01:26:32 am »
I spent most of today outside clearing salmon berry bushes with my kid. I also had another round with the chainsaw, after several hours yesterday and about another hour today I finally appeared to have it dialled in. However although it cut really well it still lacked power in the cut (not as dialled in as I thought) after the first cut it died several pulls later it was running again another cut and it died, would not start, tried everything and it just would not start, thats kinda when I lost it, grabbed the saw and started slammin it into the tree, cussing loudly as I did so, threw it on the ground in disgust and went and found some weeds to pull, needless to say my kid thought it was just a little strange.
About an hour later I tried again and it started on the second pull, only it was not done with me yet, I only cut 5 logs as it would die between each cut, have a feeling that I need a new filter on it, other than that it could be headed to the "free" list on craigslist.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:42 am »
I have a pulan wild thing, with 18" blade, it runs like a top, never had an issue with it, sat around for a year in an old trailer, cleaned teh plug and away it goes, idles like a champ. only problem i got with it ,, GAS HOG. keeps running out of gas.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline reeegs22

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:01 am »
Stihl chainsaws all the way!!! They are very reliable and are not sold at big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.  Buying a Stihl will help a local dealer and small business stay in business. 
:-) Mary

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 12:30:26 pm »
I have had three types of chainsaws. The first was a mcculluch (sic) then a poulon and finally a Stihl.
The first two were garbage. Each lasted one maybe two trees. The poulon lasted for one 10" oak tree towards the end it would die out after every cut.

The Stihl is a beast it chews through everything I could throw at it and with the two storms we have had over the last 4 years it probably cut over 50 large oak trees can not say enough good about them

Keith

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 01:57:59 pm »
I have a poulan too (identical to the craftsman, same mfg. I think) , and other than me being far too hard on the chain and bar it runs great.

Do you have your oil mix to rich?  My brother-inlaw had the power issue with an old husqie and it was because of too much oil in the gas.

Rick
Rick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 06:10:12 pm »
i have a nice 'girls' husqvarna.  it's easy to start, not to heavy, and considering the size, i can cut some pretty big stuff.  that's what i have been using to clean up the snow, ice, wind, crap that came down all over.  :-)  i love my power tools!!!!!

i have a sears poll saw and it's crap.  throws the chain and binds.  to bad.  sears stuff used to be top line.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:34 pm »
Poulan Wild thing did the job but beat me to death as it has no vibration control.  It always started.  I now use a Stihl Farm boss 390.  Nothing beats it for reliability.  It is a bit heavy, but no vibration.  It is a great saw. Irwin is the logger; take his advice.
Brian

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 02:35:28 am »
I'll give my poulan to anyone who wants it.  You pay shipping...  what a POS.

The Stihl, however, is a monster, never fails, skip tooth chain, cuts like a champ.  All the tree-guys around here use them.
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:59 am »
I have an old Stihl 031-AV that is simply a beast. Bought it used 15 years ago, and it only recently broke. I did replace the pull rope assembly years ago. I'll probably be getting another one soon...another stihl!
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 11:35:08 am »
I have a Stihl 034 AV, had it for 24 years, bought new.  Cut a lot of firewood.  They are expensive but the way to go.  Bought my wife a Stihl MS260 Pro last year, nice smaller saw.  Just my .02.

David 

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 01:50:34 pm »
What do thos numbers mean anyways... 031, 034 and so on?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com