Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees escaping  (Read 1979 times)

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
bees escaping
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:24:55 pm »
Hello,

I was checking my hives today, the one was very calm.  The other however, once I took off the one super, the bees started to come out over the edge of the other super as if they were boiling out.  I never seen this happen before when checking the hive.  I know that 2 hives are never the same, but have you ever had his experience before?  What would cause this?

Thanks,

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
Re: bees escaping
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:09:33 pm »
anybody know?

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:33:47 pm »
Hello,

I was checking my hives today, the one was very calm.  The other however, once I took off the one super, the bees started to come out over the edge of the other super as if they were boiling out.  I never seen this happen before when checking the hive.  I know that 2 hives are never the same, but have you ever had his experience before?  What would cause this?

Thanks,

Without knowing/seeing what you mean by "as if they were boiling out", I'd guess it's just a strong hive. :) How many boxes do you have on it?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:21:06 pm »
I currently have three 6 5/8" supers on it, but the 3rd one isn't drawn out much at all.  It's been on their for about 3 weeks.  The only bad part is that it had been raining for the past week or so.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:41 am »
I've seen this a lot.  This weekend wasn't too good to check bees.  It was cloudy and threatening to rain for the majority of the day.  Days like that sometimes no amount of smoke will keep them from boiling over.  I'm sure it was the weather.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:14 pm »
    Was helping a freind with his hives a few days ago.  All hives were basically very mellow when opened.  One had so many bees that I had barely lifted the telescoping cover and they came 'boiling' out from under the cover, like the house was on fire.  They weren't mad or upset, but they were FULL of bees.  There was plenty of comb room for nectar and pollen.  We did remove some honey but the bees were working outside and inside and there was a BUNCH!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:59:32 pm »
Some call that a BOOMER . . . . count your blessings and super!
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:06 pm »
I'll say, some of us are hoping our hives build up to that level. I only have one close to that.

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:44:31 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everybody!  Greatly appreciated!  :-D