Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goldline Queen  (Read 28504 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Goldline Queen
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:48:15 pm »
Orderd a Goldline queen today from Purvis Brothers Apiaries. Ive heard nothing but good about the Goldline queen. I asked what the temperate and they said good, usually hat and vail, sometimes nothing. I was told they breed for surviabliity not to be nice.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Goldline Queen
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:11:48 pm »
Sorry for the extra post, but here is a link for the info on Goldline Queens in case anyone was wondering about what or who are the goldline: http://web.mac.com/dannpurvis/iWeb/Purvis%20Brothers%20Bees.com/Product-Prices.html.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:53:31 pm »
I'm going to have to hang onto that page for the future.  I never heard of them.  Let us know how they work for you.  Thanks for sharing.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:15:08 pm »
Your welcome. I believe it was "Dallas" on vent that gave me the link to them. 

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:53:04 am »
I set up 3 nucs w/ them and a few members really like their queens. I wintered in one deep w/ medium of honey on top. So far all three are alive and well. Docile so far. Cant asses their forgaing skill yet. They do exhibit "uber-hygenic" behaviour as compared to my Minn Hygenics set-ups. They start to clean up evejn before my inspection is over. Carry the dead dozens of feet away instead of just pushing off landing board. My only problem is late shipping dates. Our club made an order one week after they posted their prices and got a date of July. They are easy to deal w/ and our club is experimenting w/ them and hoping they are as good as advertised. So far, our club is satisfied and is expecting this years order.Ideally mid-june would be better at latest for our area. Nucs need to much TLC otherwise.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:43:28 am »
My ship date is around June 16.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 06:32:35 am »
I have had PBA Queens for 4 years and have raised some from them, they are very good queens, good foragers, big hives, very good temperament, I work mine without smoke and some days they can be irritable without smoke but they are good bee's.  
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:51:28 pm »
TWT, are you the one that gave me the link? What is your name in Vent?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »
TWT, are you the one that gave me the link? What is your name in Vent?

its the same "TwT" , I have talked about them a few time on ventrilo but I don't remember to who!!

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Ivan

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:02:45 am »
Are the bees good honey producers?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 02:43:42 pm »
They say they are and will find out this fall. Go to the link I posted above and it tells everything you want to know about them.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 07:23:47 pm »
Got my queen today and put her and the cage inside the hive. Ill keep everyone updated on the differences in the hive.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 10:56:43 pm »
Interesting that on their page, they have a pic of a worker in a flower labeled "a hard working, strong surviving, Purvis queen". Heh.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 06:26:36 am »
they are some good bee's, build up fast and large, good honey producers.

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 12:43:37 pm »
I introduced 2 queens from them to 2 of my hives yesterday.  I'll post any interesting developments/characteristics.

On the subject of introduction, I used the push in cage method.  From all I've read, should wait 4-5 days and check on her for acceptance.  Well when I went in yesterday to release her, the brood did not emerge in the caged area and lots of SHB larvae (it was like this in both hives).  She was okay though...poor thing being caged with those nasty things, I felt bad for her.  Both walked freely into the hive with a "court" surrounding/grooming her. 

I just scraped/detroyed the comb with the SHB larvae in it and put it back in the hive as the rest of the frame had healthy capped brood in it.  Anyone else have problems with the push-in cage method?

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 06:37:07 am »
some love the push in cage method, I have never used it, never needed to, I just use the wood or plastic queen cages, leave corks or caps in were they cant release her and leave in hive 4-5 days, after that I remove corks or caps and let them release her. I don't care to release her myself any more because them hags can fly in a second and then you have a chance on losing her but surprisingly she will enter the hive most of the time even when she flies.

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 08:16:23 pm »
derrick1p1, have you checked on your queens or nocited any difference between other queens and the goldline? I fdont know about the one I bought because the other beek here needed a queen pretty bad so I gave the goldline to him since he helps me out so much.

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:09 pm »
I lost one of the goldlines (my fault, she flew away).  Another I have had to reintroduce.  She was laying, but hive was very weak at the time and she minimized her laying because of available nurse bees to keep brood warm.
Other queen was laying great.  Lots of solid, capped brood throughout chamber, but they have already superceded her.  Not sure why.  Once the brood emerges, I'll get a better idea of what the offspring are like.
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 02:21:03 pm »
Wow, I wonder why they did not like the one. I'm going to go over to the other guys house and check mine out. Hope she is doing good.

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 05:39:44 pm »
I have a hive that has repeatedly superceded queens they've either reared themselves (or the one I introduced), after they have mated and started laying good patterns.  I'm alway very careful when I inspect the brood chamber b/c I don't want to harm the queen.  To my knowledge, I've not killed any queens accidentally in the past, and can't imagine I would have done this 3 times to this hive.  This hive is currently rearing, again, thier own queen.  I am not going to intervene and try to introduce another queen (didn't work last time as you can see).  There are plenty of workers, brood and stores in this hive.  Hopefully, this perplexing hive will rear a queen and accept her as begin gearing up for fall and winter.

Best of luck on the inspection of your queen!
Derrick