Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guinea hens  (Read 4182 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Guinea hens
« on: September 29, 2007, 05:31:26 pm »
I was at the feed supply today, one of the ones I go to, its actually at this guys house. I was admiring his ducks, geese, and guinea hens. The guinea hens are neat and don't look like they would fly much cause they look kinda stout, a little fat in fact, but he told me they nest up in the trees and commonly fly up to the top wire of the telephone poles he pointed out. I have observed guinea hens before, have never seen them fly, they always seem to be running around everywhere. I had asked him how he kept them on his property. Did he raise them as chicks? He said, " they're not mine, they're the neighbor's down the street, so are most of the geese. " Go figure! :-D Oh, and BTW, the hens and the geese are always at his house, in fact they have adopted his house as where they like to live, bunch of freeloaders. Couldn't have anything to do with all that feed could it? :-D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:26:58 pm by JP »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Guinea hens
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 11:11:03 pm »
JP, now isn't that wierd.  These barnyard critters are probably eating this dude out of house and home.  Wonder how he can afford it?  It must be very rural, I can just see all these birds walking along the road to get to his house for dinner!!!   :) ;)  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:26 am »
If you feed them they will come.  Sometimes more than you want or not what you were expecting.  Lets see...bee guards on Humingbird feeders, Squirrel guards on bird feeders,  photo cell Motion detectors to scare of night time raiders like raccoons and deer...and the list goes on.  Yea! If you feed them they will come.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:27:07 am »
I think he may have nesting and roosting crossed up. The nest is where they lay their eggs, and they do that on the ground or a nest box if you have them pend up.
Next he has to be feeding them or they started coming around when they were young.
I gave some grown ones to my neighbor once, about 300 yds up the road, next day they came walking down the road back home. :roll:
Guineas are one fowl that hasn't been tamed, they have only been domesticated, just like honey bees.
Been there, done that.
For yard birds, I prefer Guineas, they will get rid of ticks and don't eat as much garden as chickens.
Been there done that to.
They are also good guard dogs, if anything strange comes around they will let you know.
Been there done that also.
There are also other places I have been and things I have done. :?
doak

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 10:56:02 am »
 Doak, he said the guineas roost up in the tree tops and that they are as you say excellent guard dogs or guard guineas, guard fowl, guard hens, whatever, just sounds weird. At night they let him know if a stranger is around, thought that was pretty cool.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:56:19 am »
Been there done that also.
There are also other places I have been and things I have done. :?
doak

Ha, Doak, I sense a bit of mystery here, mysteries are fun!!!  Me too, there are tons of places that I have been and things I have done too :) :roll:  Have a wonderful day, best of our great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 09:35:10 pm »
If you feed them they will come.  Sometimes more than you want or not what you were expecting.  Lets see...bee guards on Humingbird feeders, Squirrel guards on bird feeders,  photo cell Motion detectors to scare of night time raiders like raccoons and deer...and the list goes on.  Yea! If you feed them they will come.

I started keeping Guineas to control the tick population.  Within the same philosophy the guineas also attracted one large panther, coyotes, as well as foxes.  The predators didn't leave until the food source did - no Guineas.  Yea! If you feed them they will come. :-\
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:41:21 pm »
Poor little guineas! :'(