Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Suits and Bee Stings?  (Read 25975 times)

Offline salty

• New Bee
Bee Suits and Bee Stings?
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:03:13 am »
I am located in Connecticut. I have been keeping bees for two years now and just recently began to get a reaction to be stings. The first was about six weeks ago. Experienced itching and hives. The next sting was last week and same thing but this time the reaction was more severe. Went to the Doc and he prescribed a epi pen and suggested that I may want to consider another hobby.

Since I enjoy this hobby so much, I would prefer not to give up so easily. Hence I am looking for the most sting resistant suit I can find. While others speak of the comfort of there suits, I am searching for the most resistant suit available. Comfort is a secondary issue.

Any suggestions?

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Re: Bee Suits and Bee Stings?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:34 am »
I to have reaction to bee stings that just started this year sending me on a ambulance ride on one occasion.  This past week was stung on the back of the arm because I wasn't suited up.  I have just a standard bee suit and have never been stung threw it.  Like you I don't plan on giving up my hobby.  Any bee suit will give you protection you just have to be willing to put it on each time you are going to open the lid of a hive that is the hard part for me.  I haven't made the suit a habit yet and I pay for it from time to time.  What I do when stung now is immediately take 2 benedryll and wait to see how severe the reaction is going to be.  So far benedryll has prevented anymore serious reactions but I do have and epi-pen just in case.     

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:45:16 am »
The next sting was last week and same thing but this time the reaction was more severe.
I love beekeeping too. It gets in your blood (literally!). If you experienced more than a localized reaction I would definately consider the doctors advise. No suit can fully protect you.
Otherwise - The zippered bee suit with elastic ankle and wrist bands is pretty good.

[url=http://www.beecare.com/indexDynFrames.htm?http://www.beecare.com/Catalog/Clothing/Full-Body-Suit.htm&1]
[url=https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_64&products_id=767]https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_64&products_id=767

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:14:43 am »
I use this exact suit...the only point of failure has been my canvass gloves. I was deluged with Bees during harvest and the only stings were at gloves.

Double up on the gloves and you should be fine. Try wearing surgical latex under the canvass. Only issue I see is loss of dexterity and heat build up.
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:40 am »
I use this deluxe suit.  http://mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page92.html .  I have yet to have stings go through it.  I have thick leather gloves that I inherited from when my dad was a beek.  I get stings in them all the time and none have stung through.  I am probably going to something considerably thinner though.  They are getting kinda worn.

My most vulnerable area for stings were my ankles.  I got it at least 6 times this past season.  I now duct tape around my ankles.

(As you can see, I'm not a fan of stings  :oops: ).
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:10:59 am »
Don't own one want one --- pricey, but I understand from post the best.

Golden bees suit:

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14260.0.html

Another guy makes a similar suit call ultra breeze. Google it for post

http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com/
John 3:16

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 11:55:35 am »
Don't own one want one --- pricey, but I understand from post the best.

Golden bees suit:

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14260.0.html

Another guy makes a similar suit call ultra breeze. Google it for post

http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com/

I own one of each, as for as sting proof these are the ones, as mentioned. They are a little heavy come summer time but both are vented and as long as you have some sort of breeze, they are very comfortable.

My standard go to is jacket and veil from Dadant but, like any bee suit other than the two mentioned, if you are dealing with aggressive bees or even nice bees in a bad mood, you can get stung.

Most bee suits are not sting proof, the golden bee and the ultra bee is as sting proof as they come. When I run across really, really aggressive bees, I wear my golden bee or ultra breeze with complete confidence.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 01:59:27 pm »
Some people just put on extra clothes under the suit. Like a sweater or longjohns. It's hot but if it helps...

Offline salty

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 11:28:34 pm »
The last time  I was stung I was wearing the English style bee suit from betterbee. I am not sure how I was stung. It was on the leg just above the knee. I looked down immediately and did not see the bee. It may have gotten in under the suit since I didn't tie off the bottom of the suit.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 09:37:35 am »
Greg had on his bee suit from Beecare the other day, and yet through the suit and the t-shirt below one girl managed to land one - at least the stinger was on the suit and didn't have a chance to pump much in.  It itched a bit the next day but didn't last.

Point is, if the bee is determined enough, and the suit is right against a vulnerable spot, the stinger will poke through.  It just won't pump much venom in.  That, of course, is cold comfort to anyone with a deadly allergy to bee stings.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 09:43:47 am »
Greg had on his bee suit from Beecare the other day, and yet through the suit and the t-shirt below one girl managed to land one - at least the stinger was on the suit and didn't have a chance to pump much in.  It itched a bit the next day but didn't last.

Point is, if the bee is determined enough, and the suit is right against a vulnerable spot, the stinger will poke through.  It just won't pump much venom in.  That, of course, is cold comfort to anyone with a deadly allergy to bee stings.

This is where the Golden Bee and Ultra Breeze have merit, they are made with three layers that keep bees from ever touching the skin.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
I've seen those before!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 10:27:07 am »
Those two suits look a lot like the same material as these Hunter Bug Protection Suits just without the integral veil. Although since they're camo, you could just sneak up on the girls without their ever knowing it!  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: I've seen those before!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 02:03:46 pm »
Those two suits look a lot like the same material as these Hunter Bug Protection Suits just without the integral veil. Although since they're camo, you could just sneak up on the girls without their ever knowing it!  :-D

Same concept, my golden bee has three layers of mesh, I believe the ultra breeze the same.

...JP

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 12:15:37 am »
I've always heard that the more you get stung, the less severe the reaction.  That has been my experience.  Is developing a serious reaction after being a beek for several years common?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 01:36:03 am »
I've always heard that the more you get stung, the less severe the reaction.  That has been my experience.  Is developing a serious reaction after being a beek for several years common?
No, it's not common, but if it starts to happen to you, you have to pay heed.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:24:34 am »
I know this was not part of your question, but I say it anyway since keeping bees with allergy is a serious business:

The bee suit is not all that are important.  I have only been beekeeper for a year, and I wear a full suit all the time.  I have had several stings, but none through the suit (I've even had bees inside my suit many times since the closing mechanism is not good enough, but never been stung by the bees getting inside).

The stings I've got has gotten through my thin leather gloves, but using thick plastic ones should take care of that.  But what I would have been worried about just as much as getting the "best suit ever" are the stubborn bees that won't come off, especially on cold days (I have no idea how your climate is since your location is not telling too much).  I've been stung by then a few times, and they where all sitting on the suit when I left the apiary for my car, and when I took off my suit, I squeezed them by accident with my hand.  Make sure to be careful when you take your suit off too!  You are not safe even though you have gotten back to your car until you are absolutely sure no bees are piggy-backing on your suit.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 08:56:14 am »
I know this was not part of your question, but I say it anyway since keeping bees with allergy is a serious business:

The bee suit is not all that are important.  I have only been beekeeper for a year, and I wear a full suit all the time.  I have had several stings, but none through the suit (I've even had bees inside my suit many times since the closing mechanism is not good enough, but never been stung by the bees getting inside).

The stings I've got has gotten through my thin leather gloves, but using thick plastic ones should take care of that.  But what I would have been worried about just as much as getting the "best suit ever" are the stubborn bees that won't come off, especially on cold days (I have no idea how your climate is since your location is not telling too much).  I've been stung by then a few times, and they where all sitting on the suit when I left the apiary for my car, and when I took off my suit, I squeezed them by accident with my hand.  Make sure to be careful when you take your suit off too!  You are not safe even though you have gotten back to your car until you are absolutely sure no bees are piggy-backing on your suit.

Very good point, I often too get stung mostly accidentally such as when I'm reaching for a tool etc and there's a bee on the underside of the tool that you just don't see.

...JP

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 10:45:18 am »
I always carefully inspect Greg's suit before he takes his hood off.  He has to lift his arms, pull up the pant legs, turn around, and then bend over so I can check the top of his hood (he's a tall guy!).  Even so we've occasionally brought a hitchhiker into the house, usually on his boot.  I know he's impressed that in four years (or is it three?  I forget) of beekeeping he's only been stung four times....I haven't been stung yet, and I'm usually out there with no suit on at all. 

In any case, if you've got the allergy yet are still intent on beekeeping, be careful when you take off your suit.  Better yet, get someone else to do the actual bee work and just do the extracting, which is the best part of beekeeping, as far as I'm concerned!  :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 01:46:23 pm »
The Dadant full suit is what I wear when doing full inspections and I feel very secure with that on. I only got stung on my ankle and now I wear high rubber boots to save my ankles. they also try to stink through the gloves, but nothing much really happens.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 05:06:19 pm »
You know, a suit and veil are more useful when the love of your life isn't running full force towards you shooing bees away from his own head.

:-D
Becky
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.